California Institute of Technology
Palomar Observatory Electronics Technician
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Under the supervision of the electronics group lead, position will be assigned to electronic support of observatory operations including maintenance, setup, repair and construction of electronic systems and devices.
This position is located at Palomar Observatory, which is in east San Diego County (near Escondido).
* Support astronomical instrument installations
* Assist in instrumentation checkouts
* Troubleshoot observatory electronics to component level
* Fabricate custom electronic assemblies and cables including fiber optics
* Repair electronic equipment including computers and networks
* Create and modify technical documentation
* Perform detector vacuum and cryogenic maintenance
* Other duties as assigned
- Minimum High School Diploma or GED
- Pass background Check
- Pass DMV check
- Pass Pre-employment Physical exam
- Ability to work at site altitude of 5600 feet
- Ability to safely lift 50 Lbs
- Ability to safely work in constrained or elevated workspace
- 3 or more years of experience in digital/analog electronics
- Proficient at reading electronic schematics and electrical diagrams
- Proficient in electronic construction skills such as soldering, cable construction and safe static dissipation practice (ESD).
- Ability to use basic electronic test equipment like digital voltmeters, oscilloscopes and function generators.
- Experience with computer hardware and basic software installation
- Ability to trouble shoot hardwired, fiber-optic, and wireless networks
- Proficient Safe cryogenic practice
- Exhibits attention to detail when handling optics
- Understands vacuum cryogenic techniques
Experience with observatory operations.
Experience with scientific instrumentation.
Experience with electro-optical systems.
Experience with digital Hardware.
Willing to work non-standard shifts and occasional call out.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: http://apptrkr.com/228503
Caltech is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, Minorities, Veterans and Disabled Persons are encouraged to apply.