California Institute of Technology
Open Until Filled
The successful applicant will work closely with astronomers using the Hale Telescope at Palomar Observatory to provide "Support Astronomer" instrument operations support. The successful applicant will further work closely with other observatory engineers in maintaining instruments at peak efficiency, assist other engineers in maintaining the observatory computers and associated software; testing and repairing instruments; monitoring and recording instrument performance; and maintain manuals and documentation. This job reports to the night operations group supervisor.
This position is located at Palomar Observatory, which is in north San Diego County (near Escondido). For more information on the Observatory visit our web site at: http://www.astro.caltech.edu/palomar/
* Assist and train astronomers in the operation of telescope instrumentation.
* Troubleshoot, repair and maintain telescope instrumentation and computers.
* Analyze, test, report and log instrumentation performance.
* Update instrumentation manuals and documentation.
* Assist in software maintenance of instrumentation computers.
* Occasionally will act as relief Night Assistant.
* Assist in operation and trouble shooting of the robotic telescopes
Bachelor of Science degree in astronomy, physics, or engineering or equivalent education and/or related work experience is required.
Must have three or more years experience working with precision optical instrumentation.
Must have direct experience working with optical astronomy instrumentation.
Familiarity with UNIX and C programming languages is required.
Must have demonstrated hardware & software troubleshooting abilities.
Must interface well with supervisors, fellow employees and astronomers.
Must be a self-motivated person with the ability to work with minimum supervision and exercise good judgment as to safety of equipment and personnel.
Must be able to work at altitude of 5600 feet.
Must be in good physical condition and be able to lift up to 50 pounds of equipment, instruments, and/or tools.
Must be able to work holidays as assigned.
Must be able to work evenings as assigned.
* A good working knowledge of telescopes and telescope control systems is desirable.
* Ability to read and understand electronic and mechanical drawings is desirable.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: http://apptrkr.com/228055
Caltech is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, Minorities, Veterans and Disabled Persons are encouraged to apply.