Take part in work at the forefront of astronomy! Join the team that operates and manages the Hubble Space Telescope and its successor, the James Webb Space Telescope. STScI is contracted by NASA as a science operations center, an astronomical research facility and a national education and outreach center with in-house program management, business and administration functions. We are a multi-dimensional organization with each functional area having unique IT requirements and customers. Each of these dimensions has specialized customers, platforms, systems and security requirements. We are seeking the right individual to provide vision and leadership for our Information Technology Services Division (ITSD).
As a member of the STScI executive Directorate, the ITSD Head is an organizational leader and strategic partner. The ITSD Head’s responsibilities will include the visionary, the pragmatic, as well as the day-to-day operations. The ITSD Head will perform many of the roles of a traditional chief technology/information officer including developing, aligning and communicating IT strategies and objectives. S/he will establish and promote a broad, innovative technology agenda while optimizing the productivity and cost-effectiveness of existing IT systems and solutions. The ITSD Head will provide oversight and high-level direction to a team of managers responsible for information and data integrity and accomplishing the work. ITSD provides:
• Mission systems for the Hubble, James Webb and Kepler space-based astronomical observatories and a world-class Multi-Mission Archive providing data storage and distribution for more than a dozen missions.
• Help desk services for ~500 employees.
• IT governance and security compliance
• Institutional infrastructure including network, video and audio services.
• Development, implementation and administration of services and systems that support the basic operations and infrastructure of the organization.
The ideal candidate for this position should possess:
• A proven track record of identifying and delivering innovative, customer-focused IT solutions for scientific research needs, business systems and operations while ensuring appropriate compliance and security and return on investment for IT solutions.
• Experience in business models that include alternative sourcing and hosting services.
• Experience with NASA (or similarly governed federal agency) compliance requirements as well as the culture and needs of an active research facility.
• Familiarity with business systems and processes, including determination of the return on investment for IT solutions.
• Demonstrated ability to leverage the technology infrastructure to innovatively support evolving workplace needs for multi-location work sites, telework, virtual work, etc.
• The ability to collaborate effectively with other senior managers in order to define, articulate and champion the ways in which technology requirements related to the organization’s business is critical.
• Strong analytical, strategic planning and communication skills.
• Tactical managerial skills to lead the IT division in attaining the company’s current and future technology goals.
• BA in computer science, information systems or a related area is expected, a master’s degree is preferred.
• Ten or more years of managerial experience in the information technology field.
STScI is and Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are located on the Homewood Campus of Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, MD. The Institute offers an excellent benefits package, tuition reimbursement, competitive salaries, relocation assistance and a stimulating environment. Interested candidates are requested to complete an on-line (https:www.stsci.edu/institute/employment) application, attach a resume in the "Resume Upload Section." Please include job #12-0001 in the filename. Applications received by February 10, 2012 will receive full consideration. US Citizenship / Permanent Residency required. Committed to the benefits of diversity, we strongly encourage qualified women and minority candidates to apply.
Check us out on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLbi0iCSVVs