IT Specialist (Applications Software)
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory
The Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory in Cambridge, MA has an immediate opening for an enthusiastic individual to provide technical support to the scientific staff in acquiring, reducing, analyzing, and archiving spectroscopic and imaging data obtained at our telescope facilities. This work utilizes Linux systems and cluster computing. The incumbent is proficient in scripting languages such as python and IDL, and in using graphical and imaging applications for astronomy such as ds9 and IRAF. Experience with managing web access to large datasets is desirable. Duties require the organization of and solution of complex problems through the application of scientific, mathematical, and data handling techniques, including finding solutions requiring complex algorithms.
- Knowledge of various interactive systems which incumbent uses to develop protocols for management and processing of large spectroscopic and imaging datasets obtained from telescopes.
- Knowledge of GUI based pipeline control systems to calibrate and reduce datasets from a near infrared spectrograph and imaging camera.
- Knowledge of data reduction techniques for spectroscopic and imaging data in astronomy as might be acquired from the formal study of astronomy or physics.
- Knowledge of the uses of spectroscopy and imaging in astronomy.
- Basic knowledge of astronomical spectra including the extraction of redshifts and line strengths.
- This is a Federal position and is only open to US citizens and US nationals.
We offer a competitive salary plus excellent benefits. To view the complete vacancy announcement and application requirements, visit our website at http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/hr/postings/