The W. M. Keck Observatory operates two of the largest, most scientifically productive optical/infrared telescopes in the world. The twin 10-meter telescopes are located at one of the premier sites for astronomy, set amidst several other world class observatories at the summit of Mauna Kea, on the spectacular Big Island of Hawaii. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to join a highly skilled, innovative and deeply committed team of professionals who excel at enabling the most exciting and important astronomical discoveries in the world.
The observatory seeks a Senior Mechanical Engineer to provide mechanical engineering and project management support to develop new observatory capabilities and upgrade existing observatory systems. The ideal candidate will possess a broad background in the design, analysis, specification, planning and construction of high technology mechanical and opto-mechanical systems for scientific and high precision applications. Be part of a challenging, fast-paced, technical environment where ability, leadership, teamwork, communication and interpersonal skills are highly prized.
• Support the development of new observatory capabilities and upgrades to existing observatory systems
• Design and analysis of mechanical and opto-mechanical systems, components and structures using 3D computer aided design (CAD) and finite element analysis (FEA)
• Provide technical and project management oversight of contractor-performed design, fabrication, installation, troubleshooting, repair and testing
• Plan and oversee the interfacing of new mechanical equipment and instrumentation to existing observatory systems including installation at the summit facility
• Follow and maintain observatory standards for mechanical and opto-mechanical systems
• Prepare and review written documentation and drawings for new systems and modifications to existing systems
• Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical engineering
• Eight years of engineering work experience
• Track record of precision designs of small scale and large scale mechanical components
• Experience with opto-mechanical design including the mounting of optical elements
• Experience with 3D computer aided design, finite element analysis, design for assembly and maintainability, product life cycle management, and reliability engineering
• Three years of experience in project management and reporting, and subcontract management
• Engineering process and configuration management experience
• Experience with modern manufacturing techniques
This position requires you to submit your resume on-line at: http://keckobservatory.iapplicants.com with your cover letter that states why you are uniquely qualified for the position.
Additional information about WMKO and this position may be found on our website at www.keckobservatory.org