DIRECTOR OF EDUCATION AND OUTREACH AT THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT
The University of Texas at Brownsville (UTB) invites applications for the position of Director of Education and Outreach for the Center for Gravitational-Wave Astronomy (CGWA). Preference will be given to candidates who have previous experience with education and public outreach programs in physics or astronomy, and who have previously interacted with the K-12 science teacher community. Excellent oral and written communication skills are indispensable. This is a faculty (non-tenured) rank appointment with a competitive 9-month salary and summer support for the first year. A PhD in Astronomy, Physics, Science or a closely related field is required.
Scope of the job:
- Lead different outreach activities at CGWA, including the Physics circus, open houses at the UTB Astronomical Observatory, and other outreach activities connected to the LIGO Scientific Collaboration outreach efforts.
- Teach introductory Astronomy/Physics classes, and actively participate in curriculum development for introductory courses.
- Actively participate in student recruitment activities.
- Seek grants to support education and public outreach and K-12 professional activities.
- Organize and lead classroom visits to local high schools and interact with local high school teachers.
- Assume the editorial responsibility for the center webpages dedicated to outreach and education.
Applicants should send a curriculum vitae and a statement of education and outreach interests to Human Resources, University of Texas at Brownsville, 80 Fort Brown, Brownsville, TX 78520, with an electronic copy sent to Dr. Joe Romano, Chair of the Search Committee (email@example.com). The applicant should also arrange for at least three letters of recommendation to be sent to Joe Romano. (The successful candidate will subsequently need to send a copy of his/her terminal degree transcripts to Human Resources.)
Review of applications will start on Feb 1st 2013. Applications will continue to be accepted until a suitable candidate is hired. For
additional information visit http://www.phys.utb.edu.
The University of Texas at Brownsville is an equal employment andaffirmative action employer and it is the policy of the university topromote and ensure equal employment opportunity for all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status. Women andminorities are encouraged to apply. The university's campus is accessible to persons with disabilities.