The Adler Planetarium maintains an Astronomy Department whose members conduct forefront research in astronomy and astrophysics in a world-class museum setting. Our astronomers possess rich and diverse expertise in many areas of astronomy as well as other closely related science fields, such as particle physics and geophysics. Additionally, the Adler Planetarium is a member of the LSST consortium, the VERITAS Collaboration, and a leading member in the Citizen Science Alliance, which created and maintains the Zooniverse suite of on-line citizen science projects. It holds a long-term close working relationship with Northwestern University and the University of Chicago, including several positions with joint appointments. Located on the shore of Lake Michigan near downtown Chicago, the Adler Planetarium shares the Museum Campus with the Field Museum and the Shedd Aquarium. This setting affords many opportunities for collaboration with other local colleges and universities.
We seek candidates for a full-time postdoctoral position in the Adler Astronomy Department. This position is for an initial term of two years, with a possible extension to a third year. The successful candidate will have 90% of his/her time available to maintain a vigorous research program with the remaining 10% contributing to the education/outreach mission of the Astronomy Department. Outstanding candidates with PhDs in all areas of astronomy, planetary science, or closely related fields will be considered; with a particular emphasis on research with the potential to capture the public’s imagination.
Preference will be given to candidates who have some experience in one or more of the following areas: (1) creating visualizations; (2) working with the media; (3) working with citizen science initiatives; (4) education & public outreach. Experience working with diverse populations is preferred.
Applicants should submit electronic copies of a CV, list of publications, research plan, brief education/outreach statement of interest, and arrange for at least three letters of recommendation to be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Additionally, applicants may submit up to two selected reprints. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but only those received by February 1st, 2013 will be assured full consideration. The starting date of the appointment is somewhat flexible, but could be as early as May 1st, 2013.