The Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias (IAC, Tenerife, Spain) invites applications for ONE postdoctoral contract in Astrophysics to work within the framework of the project "Cosmology with the Planck and Euclid Missions" (AYA2012-39702-C02-01) whose PI is Prof. Rafael Rebolo López.
The IAC is a leading Center for Astrophysics in Spain, covering theoretical and observational research and instrumentation across most areas of Astrophysics. It has been selected as a “Severo Ochoa Center of Excellence” in research by the Spanish Government. The successful candidate will have access to all telescopic and supercomputing facilities in the Canary Islands, including the 10.4m GTC. Ample travel funding is available.
The candidate’s duties are:
1. Characterization of the interstellar extinction of galaxies in the spectral range of the Euclid’s NISP infrared spectrograph. Caracterization of infrared features of the interstellar extinction in our Galaxy. Study of the role of hydrocarbon molecules as agents of interstellar extinction. Study of the anomalous microwave emission in galaxies and the role of hydrocarbon molecules.
2. Spectroscopic characterization of hydrocarbon molecules in the optical and infrared, specially in the observing range of the Euclid satellite. Measurement of molar extinction coefficients of hydrocarbons. Determination of the abundances of hydrocarbons in space.
High value will be given to:
• Experience in the determination of the properties of interstellar extinction and its possible atomic and molecular causes;
• Experience in the study of the anomalous microwave emission;
• Experience in the characterization at laboratories of hydrocarbon molecules and molecular forms of carbon;
• Experience in the astrophysical characterization of hydrocarbon molecules;
• Participation in the scientific and technical activities of the Euclid consortium and other spatial missions.
The candidate must hold a PhD in Astrophysics by the submission deadline (January, 31).
Remuneration: The gross annual salary is 32.886 €
Duration: The contract will start during the first trimester 2014 until December 31, 2014 (end of the project).
The application procedure is explained on the web site. All documents, including the recommendation letters, must be received before the application deadline: January 31, 2013.
Details of the selection process, including the list of applicants, will be published on the web; successful candidates will also be informed by e-mail.