Far-distant galaxies from the beginning of time. Fiery stars born in clouds of gas and dust. You've seen the pictures; now be a part of the history. Join the team that operates and manages the Hubble Space Telescope and its successor, the James Webb Space Telescope. Experience the wonder of 21st century space exploration in a job that offers a competitive salary and generous benefits. The Space Telescope Science Institute, located on the Johns Hopkins University Campus in Baltimore, Md., is seeking a Program Coordinator I.
The Program Coordinator will support the development, implementation and flight preparation of HST observing programs. The Program Coordinator will provide assistance to the HST user from acceptance notification through program execution. Project goals include verification, validation, transformation and scheduling assessments of assigned Phase II proposals while ensuring all operational databases correctly reflect proposal status.
The successful candidate must have:
• Ability to work independently and carry through assigned tasks.
• Ability to formulate and resolve problems through research and application of standard scientific, mathematical, and computational skills and techniques.
• Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships, both internally and externally.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail and follow-through as required.
• Capacity to work in and actively contribute to a team work environment.
• Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree in Physics, Astronomy, Computer Science or a closely related field.
• Minimum of six months (Master’s) to one year (Bachelor’s ) experience in science research, technical support of spacecraft operations activities is preferred. Experience in planning and executing astronomical observations is desirable.
Substitution of additional relevant education or experience for the stated qualifications may be considered.
STScI offers an excellent benefits package, tuition reimbursement, competitive salaries, and a stimulating environment. Interested candidates are requested to complete an on-line application at http://www.stsci.edu/institute/employment , attach a resume in the "Resume Upload Section." Please include job #13-0222 in the filename. Resumes received by February 14, 2014 will receive full consideration.
STScI sees the diversity of our staff as a strategic priority in our desire to create a first-rate scientific community. We reflect that deep commitment in strongly encouraging women, minorities, veterans and disabled individuals to apply for these opportunities. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, STScI does not discriminate because of race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, or mental or physical handicap.
Note: Substitution of additional relevant education or experience for stated qualifications may be considered.
Veterans, disabled or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Voted one of the Top 25 Places to Work in Maryland by Baltimore Magazine 2012