To apply: https://jacobsexternal-jacobstechnology.icims.com/jobs/15693/job
The primary functions of the NASA Meteoroid Environment Office (MEO) is to maintain expertise in the meteoroid environment to support NASA missions. This is accomplished by conducting technical work on the meteoroid environment, providing expertise to assist with risk mitigation, developing and maintaining sporadic meteoroid models, and providing meteor shower forecasts to NASA spacecraft operators.
Successful candidate will support the NASA Meteoroid Environment Office (MEO) by providing scientific and technical expertise in the analysis and interpretation of astronomical observations, such as astrometric and photometric analysis of observed astronomical events. Some astronomical observation duty may be requested, which could require efforts outside of normal duty hours. Compile results into technical papers for publication, and present research findings at technical conferences.
For more information on the NASA MEO, visit http://www.nasa.gov/offices/meo/home/index.html
Masters Degree in Astronomy or a closely related discipline from an ABET accredited institution is required. Typically, educational requirements are the equivalent of a Ph.D., a minimum of a Masters with at least 2 years of experience. PhD preferred.
- Successful candidate shall have strong astronomical image analysis experience.
- Additional experience in astronomical observations is preferred.
- Preference shall be given to experience with image analysis and observations of meteoroids or
other small solar system bodies.
- Strong experience with astronomical image processing tools (e.g., IRAF, PyRAF, etc.) is required.
- Strong scientific programming experience in computing languages such as Python, C++, etc., is
- Experience using and programming within a Linux environment is preferred.
Proof of U.S. Citizenship is required.
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity Employer, Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities