SKA South Africa Chief Scientist
The South Africa SKA project is seeking a scientific leader for the position of SKA SA Chief Scientist. The successful candidate will have a significant record of scientific accomplishment and a demonstrated ability to manage large programs. The position will be located at the SKA SA project office in Cape Town, reporting directly to the SKA South Africa Director.
SKA South Africa is a project of the Department of Science and Technology, administered by the National Research Foundation. SKA SA is responsible for South Africa's hosting of the Square Kilometre Array Radio Telescope, the design and construction of the South African SKA precursor array (MeerKAT), the development of the African VLBI Network, and the development of high-level capacity in radio astronomy and the engineering disciplines relevant to radio astronomy.
The SKA SA protected site in the arid Karoo also hosts the Precision Array for Probing the Epoch of Reionisation (PAPER) instrument, the C-band All-Sky Survey (C-BASS) South instrument, as well as the Mid-frequency Aperture Array prototype.
The Chief Scientist will:
· direct the SKA SA science program and the scientific program of MeerKAT as a world-leading facility in the pre-SKA era,
· work with the user community to ensure the maximum scientific productivity of the MeerKAT large survey projects and open time,
· coordinate with the MeerKAT engineering and commissioning teams to demonstrate the full range of science capability and early science outcomes
· provide strategic advice to the SKA SA director on science and on technical decisions that impact scientific outcomes,
· lead the development of scientific partnerships with African countries toward an African VLBI network and hosting of the SKA,
· work with the SA SKA project to maximize the human capital development impact of SA radio astronomy,
· promote and represent MeerKAT and SKA SA within the framework of planning and coordination with other major South African astronomy projects/programs,
· work with the SA community to advance scientific participation and leadership in the SKA project and the integration of MeerKAT into SKA phase I.
· contribute to the development and execution of the Big Data Africa programme
For enquiries please contact: Natasha Africa +27 21 506 7300 firstname.lastname@example.org or Bernie Fanaroff email@example.com, or the chair of the Search Committee, Russ Taylor firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be reviewed beginning 15 July 2014 and will be considered until the post is filled.
Applications for the position should be submitted via: http://nrfinter.careerjunction.co.za/jobs/1642841
As a business unit of the NRF, SKA SA is committed to employment equity and redress