For the Atacama Pathfinder Experiment (APEX) in Chile, ESO is opening the Paid Associate position of:
(Career Path V)
APEX, the Atacama Pathfinder Experiment, is a collaboration between the Max-Planck-Institut für Radioastronomie (MPIfR), Onsala Space Observatory (OSO), and the European Southern Observatory (ESO) to operate a modified ALMA prototype antenna as a single dish on the high altitude site of Llano de Chajnantor. The site is excellent for sub-mm observations, and the telescope is equipped with bolometer arrays and heterodyne receivers for observations at sub-mm wavelengths as well as in the THz band.
The successful candidate will:
• Contribute to the observing support, including short-term scheduling of observations and online data quality check
• Train and support visiting astronomers for observations and data reduction
• Actively develop and maintain procedures to assess the quality of science data
• Develop and implement procedures to monitor and improve the performance of the antenna and its instruments
The successful candidate will be expected and encouraged to actively conduct astronomical research using APEX and other facilities. Financial support for scientific trips and stays at other institutions, including in Europe, is foreseen for all Astronomers.
We are seeking a staff astronomer with substantial observing/operational experience in the field of sub-mm wave astronomy. Experience in some of the following areas would are an asset:
• Bolometer Camera observing techniques and data reduction
• Python Programming
• Data Base handling
The position requires three letters of reference to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information and on-line applications go to https://jobs.eso.org/.
Closing date is 31 August 2014