1. Vacant post: One associate professor
2. (1) Division to belong to: NAOJ Chile Observatory. He/she joins Advanced Technology Center after employment. (2) Duty station: Mitaka, Tokyo, Japan
3. Field of specialty: Applied physics, electric or electronic engineering, or radio astronomy
4. Duties and responsibilities:
This position is for a person who will work as a research staff at the Advanced Technology Center of NAOJ to develop low-noise heterodyne receivers at millimeter and submillimeter wavelengths for the existing radio telescopes operated by NAOJ, including ALMA, and to keep and improve the performance of those receivers operated at those radio telescopes. The successful candidate is expected to drive research and development of the next-generation low-noise heterodyne receivers for the ALMA telescope, according to the scientific requirements. Presently, the following development items are conceived for such receivers, and the candidate is expected to start by leading at least two of them:
(1) Research and development on a low-noise heterodyne receiver for ALMA Band 11 covering the frequency range of 1.0 – 1.6 THz.
(2) Research and development on a multi-pixel (or focal-plane array) heterodyne receiver for the ALMA telescope.
(3) Research and development on a heterodyne receiver with an octave signal (or observation) frequency range.
(4) Research and development on a heterodyne receiver with an instantaneous (or IF) bandwidth of 20 GHz or more.
The candidate is required to have profound knowledge and engineering experience of radio astronomy observation systems and an ability to lead as a senior member of an international ALMA receiver development team. A good communication skill is necessary to build and maintain good relationship with the members of the science and engineering teams, as well as related people (including researchers) in Japan and other countries. The candidate needs to have sufficient English language proficiency to lead engineering/technical discussions in face-to-face meetings, video conferences and teleconferences.
5. (1) Start of employment: As soon as reasonably possible after selection (2) Term of employment: Indefinite (subject to the retirement age of 65).
6. Required academic qualification: At least 5-year experience in relevant research and development on low-noise radio receivers. Preferably Master’s Degree or higher in engineering, science or related field, or equivalent.
7. Application documents:
(1) Cover letter
(2) Curriculum vitae (research history to be included. If you have any achievement in a research/development project as a group member, describe your contribution to it in details.)
(3) List of research papers (peer-reviewed papers should be separated from others. For co-authored papers, roles played by each member should be specified.)
(4) Pdf copies of three important research papers.
(5) Your commitment and plan to fulfill the duties (including your research plan as needed)
(6) Names and address (e-mail or phone) of at least two reference persons.
(7) Your address (e-mail and phone) for a prompt contact
8. Application deadline: No later than October 1, 2014, 17:00 (Japan Time)
1) Send your application documents by email to: apply-alma-associate20140901_AT_nao.ac.jp. Indicate the Subject of the e-mail as: “application for Associate Professor of NAOJ Chile Observatory”.
2) If you have any question, contact:
Dr. Testsuo Hasegawa, Director
NAOJ Chile Observatory
Email: tetsuo.hasegawa_AT_nao.ac.jp (*replace AT with @).
Indicate the Subject of the e-mail as: “question on Associate Professor of NAOJ Chile Observatory”.
10. Notes for application: • Convert each application document (from (1) through (4) above) to a separate PDF file and attach them to your e-mail for application.
*Please make sure NOT to create one joint PDF file or send in a compressed format such as a zip file.
• Make PDF files with appropriate resolution so that they won’t be too large (file size: up to 10MB)
• Upon receipt of your application, you will receive a confirmation mail. If you do not receive any response from NAOJ, please contact apply-alma-associate20140901_AT_nao.ac.jp (*replace _AT_ with @).
11. Policy for Equal Employment Opportunity:
Abiding by the Equal Employment Opportunity Act for Men and Women, NAOJ is committed to the realization of a society with gender equality. If two candidates are deemed equal in their performance evaluation, NAOJ will take positive action to employ women. For details, see http://open-info.nao.ac.jp/danjokyodo/ (Japanese only).