The National Radio Astronomy Observatory located in Green Bank West Virginia is now accepting applications for a Scientist position. Responsibilities of the successful applicant(s) will include supporting observers who use the telescope as well as working on a diverse variety of projects, which may include the development and commissioning of new instrumentation on the telescope, working with the engineering staff to improve the overall telescope performance, and aiding with the data reduction pipelines needed for the GBT.
The successful applicant must have strong knowledge of radio and/or millimeter astronomy. 25% of their time available for independent research. Support for research and travel are provided, as well as vacation accrual, health insurance, and a moving allowance. Position will be at the assistant, associate, or scientist level, depending on experience.
• On call support for GBT observers
• Acting as “friend” for GBT proposals, which includes aiding a project from initiation through publication
• Calibration and testing of existing GBT instruments
• Aiding in the development of new instruments for the GBT, including writing requirements, project oversight, testing, and/or commissioning of the instrument.
• Providing scientific leadership for the Green Bank site
• Maintaining an active independent research plan which includes the use of Green Bank telescope(s)
• Proactive compliance with NRAO and government safety policies and procedures in own work area is expected.
• Other duties as assigned
Education: Ph.D. in astronomy or a related field
Required Technical Experience:
• Knowledge of radio and/or millimeter wavelength astronomy
• At least 3 years of post-graduate experience
Desired Technical Experience:
• Knowledge of radio astronomy instrumentation
• Ability to clearly convey technical information to software developers, engineers and scientists, interact with peers in a positive and respectful way and calmly resolve conflicts is strongly desired.
How to apply:
Qualified applicants are invited to apply online at www.nrao.edu. NRAO is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/D/V