The Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy (AURA) is a consortium of over 40 US institutions and three international affiliates that operates world-class astronomical observatories. AURA’s role is to establish, nurture, and promote public observatories and facilities that advance innovative astronomical research. AURA is responsible for managing the operations of the NSF’s National Optical-Infrared Astronomy Research Laboratory, the National Solar Observatory, and the construction of the Vera C. Rubin Observatory and the Daniel K. Inouye Solar Telescope under cooperative agreements with the National Science Foundation and operations of the Space Telescope Science Institute under contracts with NASA.
NSF’s National Optical-Infrared Astronomy Research Laboratory (NSF’s OIR Lab) is the preeminent US national center for ground-based, nighttime optical and infrared astronomy. The mission of NSF’s OIR Lab is to enable breakthrough discoveries in astrophysics by developing and operating state-of-the-art ground-based observatories and providing data products and services for a diverse and inclusive community.
This time, the international Gemini Observatory, a NSF’s OIR Lab program, has an immediate opening for a Research Intern, in order to collaborate with the Neighborhood Watch Survey. The successful incumbent will reduce CTIO 4-m DECam imaging data of nearby galaxy groups to identify dwarf galaxies and globular star clusters. The start date is flexible, however preferably will be no later than September 1, 2020. The position has a maximum duration of four months.
- Responsible for processing and analyzing CTIO 4-m DECam imaging data of nearby galaxy groups and clusters.
- Works closely with Dr. Bryan Miller, as well as communicate progress and results the larger project team.
- Will be trained in relevant processing techniques as part of the internship.
- All AURA employees are responsible for the proper management and control of all AURA property within their work area, whether assigned to them or someone else. This responsibility includes reporting any known missing, stolen, or non-working property in their work area to their supervisor or the AURA Property Officer. For detailed information on proper custodial care of government property, refer to the AURA Employee Handbook at http://hr.auraastronomy.org/?q=handbook.
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with government award terms and conditions assigned to this position or subordinates of this position as defined in the Vela Award Management system.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Enrolled in a Bachelor’s program in a relevant field, or have a recent B.S./B.A. (or higher) degree in relevant field (astronomy, physics, computer science)
- Required prior experience with UNIX/Linux/MacOS.
- Prior experience with processing of either spectroscopic or imaging data and handling large data sets, is desired.
- Good English communication skills, including ability to clearly document performed work
- Good knowledge of Python is desired.
- Prior experience with processing of either spectroscopic or imaging data with IRAF/pyraf.
- Programming experience in python.
- Experience handling larger data sets.
- Research experience as part of internships or projects during undergraduate/graduate studies.
If you would like to apply for this opportunity, please submit your CV/Resume and a Cover Letter in English (PDF files) as well as a 3 professional references (with email addresses) until Wednesday, May 6th. Please name any attachments with the following format: LastnameDocname. Application documents that are not uploaded as part of the application may be sent to email@example.com
AURA, as a leader in the astronomical community, is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity throughout the astronomical scientific workforce. Learn more at http://www.aura-astronomy.org/diversity
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor and is subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA and all of the centers, do not discriminate based on race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and/or any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state, and local equal opportunity laws. ted to qualified Native Americans living on or near the Tohono O'odham reservation.
Veterans, disabled individuals or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process should request assistance at firstname.lastname@example.org