NAOJ announces an Associate Professor position for a person with a deep knowledge in Radio Astronomy and Interferometry and who has a strong motivation to lead and contribute to the Science Operations and/or Science Verification of new capabilities of the ALMA observatory in Chile.
1.Job Title: Associate Professor, one position
2. Division and Location: NAOJ Chile, Santiago (Chile)
3.Area of Expertise: Radio Astronomy, and Interferometry
The contribution of NAOJ in the ALMA Project is done in two parallel lines: on one hand, the ALMA Project in Mitaka leads the East Asia ALMA off-site activities; on the other, NAOJ Chile contributes to the Joint ALMA Observatory (JAO) on-site operations and staffing. This Associate Professor position is for a person with a deep knowledge in Radio Astronomy and Interferometry and who has a strong motivation to lead and contribute to the Science Operations and/or Science Verification of new capabilities of the ALMA observatory in Chile, as an International Staff Member (ISM) of the Joint ALMA Observatory (JAO). The successful candidate will be stationed in Santiago (Chile), working at JAO as NAOJ staff, and must apply to relevant ISM positions to join JAO as soon as practical, if he/she is not an ISM already. The successful applicant shall contribute to JAO operations as other NAOJ ISM and NAOJ Staff working at JAO in Chile, and should keep good communication and collaboration with the NAOJ ALMA Support Center in Mitaka (Japan) and with Chilean Science and Academic Institutions, e.g. Universidad de Chile. More explicitly, some of the tasks which could be performed by this position are:
- To contribute to the ALMA observatory Science Operations and/or Commissioning and Science Verification activities as a staff of the Joint ALMA Observatory
- To try to lead some of the activities performed by current NAOJ staff working at JAO, as ISM or NAOJ staff members
- To contribute to future planning of ALMA at JAO (and NAOJ if applicable)
- To keep good communication and collaboration with the NAOJ ALMA Support Center in Mitaka (Japan)
- To lead Scientific Collaboration with Chilean Universities and organize Science Talks and other Scientific Activities in Chile (as part of his/her Science Time for JAO staff) The successful candidate is expected to have experience in Operations and AIV/CSV in large astronomical facilities, and the motivation and skills necessary to lead these activities for the ALMA telescope as an International Staff Member of the Joint ALMA Observatory. He/she must have good communication skills, and proven experience of successful work in English in large international multicultural teams. The knowledge of Japanese and Spanish will also be an asset. Applications are encouraged from current NAOJ ISM at Assistant Professor positions, and other NAOJ and external researchers. This position will have assigned up to 20% of working time for the successful candidate’s own research Science Time, whereas 80% of time will be devoted to duty work at JAO. Science activities
in Chile and in collaboration with the NAOJ ALMA Support Center in Mitaka, and all necessary preparation, would count as Science Time in the case of ISM staff.
5. Terms ofAppointment:
The successful candidate should be able to start as soon as reasonably possible after the job offer has been accepted. The term of the contract will continue up to the end of the Japanese academic year in which the professor reaches NAOJ's mandatory retirement age of 65.
6. Minimum Academic Requirements:
(1) Ph.D. or equivalent
(2) High English proficiency for daily work in the multicultural and international environment of the Joint ALMA Observatory, and to be able to take part in scientific/technical discussions in face-to-face meetings, video conferences and teleconferences
(3) Fluency in Spanish and/or Japanese is an asset for this position
7. RequiredApplication Materials: (*To be prepared in English. Any other language will not be accepted)
(1) Cover letter;
(2) Curriculum vitae;
(3) Publications list (Separate refereed and non-refereed papers. SPIE can be included in refereed papers.);
(4) Summary of your past research activities including international collaborations;
(5) Your plans to fulfill the responsibilities and aspirations for the position (including your research plan as needed);
(6) Your easily reachable contact information (e-mail and phone) and the e-mail address of your current supervisor or line manager.
(7) Two or more reference letters. Note that your current supervisor or line manager cannot serve as a reference. Please ask your references to send a letter as an e-mail attachment to the submission address shown in 9. (1). Applicants are responsible for ensuring that the letters arrive before the application deadline. (Reference letters should be written by faculty/staff with tenured positions, and no more than one reference letter will be accepted from each country.)
8. Application Deadline: 2019-03-29, 17:00 (Japan StandardTime)
(1)E-mail your application documents to:
(E-mail address) apply-almaISM-assocprof20190329_AT_nao.ac.jp (replace _AT_with @) (Subject of e-mail) “Application for ALMA Associate Professor in Chile”
(2)Contact for Inquiries:
(E-mail address) Alvaro.Gonzalez_AT_nao.ac.jp (replace _AT_ with @)
Alvaro Gonzalez, NAOJ ALMA Project Manager
10. Notes for application:
• Convert each application documents (from 7.(1) through 7.(6) above) into a separate PDF file and attach them to your application e-mail.
• Make PDF files with appropriate resolution so that they won’t be too large (file size: up to10 MB).
• Upon receipt of your application, you will receive a confirmation e-mail. If you do not receive any response from NAOJ within 3 working days, please contact: (E-mail address): apply-almaISM-assocprof20190329_AT_nao.ac.jp (replace_AT_ with @)
• Candidates selected in the final short list may be interviewed by the selection committee either via internet or face-to-face. The expense for travel to the interview will not be covered by NAOJ.
• If the selection committee deems that there is no qualified candidate for this position, it is possible no one will be selected.
• The NAOJ Advisory Committee for Research and Management will make the final decision for the appointment.
• Policy for Equal Employment Opportunity: Abiding by the Equal Employment Opportunity Act for Men and Women, NAOJ is committed to the realization of a society with gender equality. If two candidates are deemed equal in their performance evaluation, NAOJ will take positive action to employ women. For details, see http://openinfo.nao.ac.jp/danjokyodo/