Research at the I. Physics Institute combines four equally important methodological pillars: observational astronomy, instrumentation, laboratory astrophysics, and theoretical astrophysics. In each of these areas we are increasingly confronted with very large data sets. As part of a strategic development aimed at structuring a research cluster with regional partners, we are looking for a postdoctoral researcher in theoretical and/or computational astrophysics to support our team.
- Research in the fields of evolution of the interstellar medium across the Universe studied by means of 3D simulations and/or comparison of numerical simulations and observational data trying to better quantify and understand the dynamics of the interstellar medium.
- Combination / application / exploration of novel methods in the field of machine learning.
- Preliminary work (scientific nature as well as concept co-design) for, and active participation in, the preparation of large-scale applications for research funding (this requires good team working and communication skills)
- Scientific coordination to organize workshops, seminars, colloquia, and collaboration meetings.
- Promoting public outreach and networking activities.
» You have a degree (PhD or equivalent) in physics/ astrophysics / astronomy / computer science or comparable.
» You have experience in writing research papers and scientific grant proposals.
» You can think analytically and work independently, systematically, and constructively
» You have very good communication and networking skills.
The application deadline is October 31st, 2022 (CET).
Please submit a motivation letter, your CV, and a short research statement (~2 pages), together with your proof of qualifications (e.g. PhD) via the online portal,and arrange for two letters of recommendation to be sent to Prof. Walch directly until November 4th at the latest.
The University of Cologne is committed to equal opportunities and diversity. Women are especially encouraged to apply and will be considered preferentially in accordance with the Equal Opportunities Act of North Rhine-Westphalia. We also expressly welcome applications from people with disabilities / special needs or of equal status.
If you have any questions, please contact Prof. Stefanie Walch (see below).