The College of Optical Sciences, Steward Observatory, and the Department of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering at the University of Arizona invite applications for a tenure-track faculty position at the Assistant Professor level. Exceptional candidates with commensurate qualifications will be considered at the Associate or Full Professor levels. Depending upon the candidate’s strengths and focus of research, home Colleges or Departments are anticipated to be the College of Optical Sciences or the Steward Observatory in the College of Science, including joint appointments that may also include the Department of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering in the College of Engineering.
The University of Arizona has a strong research and education track record in optical systems and engineering, ranging from the fabrication and qualification of large-scale telescope systems to instrumentation for space systems, biomedical systems, consumer applications, and more. The University is seeking to develop a multidisciplinary research and education program in optomechanical systems and instrumentation, and the successful candidate will be an integral part of this development. Specific fields of interest include but are not limited to:
- Optomechanical system design, analysis, alignment, testing, and delivery.
- Mechanical, stress, thermal, shock, and vibration analysis of complex optomechanical structures.
- Optimization and adaptive control of support forces for optics.
- Additive/subtractive fabrication processes for optical materials, metals, and ceramics.
- Mechanisms and the associated dynamics and control.
- Novel materials such as glasses, composites, ceramics, additively manufactured materials.
- Candidates with opportunities for working across other discipline boundaries are also desired.
- PhD in Optics, Physical Sciences, Engineering or related field.
- Demonstrated experience with optomechanical systems and instrumentation.
The candidate is expected to support and advance Inclusive Excellence, the UA diversity and inclusiveness strategic initiative designed to create an inclusive environment for all faculty, staff, and students.
To apply please visit: https://uacareers.com/postings/23698
Review of applications will begin on January 2, 2018 and continue until the position is filled. Complete applications will include a cover letter, full CV with list of publications, research and teaching statements, and 3 letters of recommendation. Inquiries may be directed to Associate Professor Jonathan Ellis , search committee chair, at: [email protected].
The University of Arizona is located in beautiful Tucson, a vibrant multicultural city in the spectacular US Southwest. Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, retirement plans, life insurance, disability programs, investment plans, paid sick-leave and holidays, tuition reduction for employee and qualified family members, and access to UA recreation and cultural activities. For more information about working at the University of Arizona, please visit: http: //whyua.arizona.edu/