CENTRA in association with LAM invites applications for a postdoctoral fellow position to develop innovative research into data-analysis algorithms aimed to extract the most precise measurements of photometric brightness, astrometric position, and morphology for planets, stars, and galaxies from adaptive-optics assisted observations on current and future ground-based telescopes.
The fellowship is funded by the H2020 Opticon network for 1 year extensible for another year subject to performance assessment and budget approval.
Our team is leading a large effort to bridge the gap between the technology and the science facilitated by AO assisted instruments. For this end, we are seeking a candidate to collaborate in one or several of the following fronts:
1. Exploring the parameter space of AO-corrected PSFs for the ELTs
2. Parametric PSFs for standard photometry/astrometry software packages
3. PSF reconstruction from multi-Wavefront Sensor telemetry
The successful applicant will be dedicated to the facilitation of the H2020-WP10 PSFR network by spending time with the ELT 1st light consortia to collect science requirements and turn them into meaningful PSF metrics that can be interpreted by PSF reconstruction algorithm developers within the consortia.
Excellent candidates with astronomy, applied physics, mathematics, engineering backgrounds with strong signal processing and programming skills are encouraged to apply.
Applicants should email (single pdf file)
- a curriculum vitae and a list of publications;
- a one-page motivation letter;
- Indicate the contacts details of up to three reference persons (no need for the reference letters at this stage)
- a short research statement describing past achievements and future projects
to Carlos Correia (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Paulo Garcia (email@example.com).
Deadline is the 30th of June 2018. Past this date, applications will be considered depending on availability until filled.
Full description: https://centra.tecnico.ulisboa.pt/network/sim/news/?id=4941