At the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences of the University of Bonn, the Argelander Institute for Astronomy (AIfA) within the Physics and Astronomy Department offers a
W2 TENURE-TRACK PROFESSORSHIP IN ASTRONOMY/ASTROPHYSICS
It is expected that the successful candidate
- has completed a first degree and a doctorate in astronomy, physics, or a related field;
- has outstanding research potential in observational or theoretical astrophysics that complements the current research profile of AIfA and strengthens it in particular in any of the areas of radio astronomy, star formation, cosmology, or galaxy evolution;
- develops an independent and internationally recognized research program and successfully acquires third-party funded projects, and participates in larger overarching third-party funded projects of AIfA;
- teaches in the bachelor's/master's programs of the Physics and Astronomy Department; the languages of instruction are English (master's) and German (bachelor's); no knowledge of German is required at the time of hire;
- is actively involved in academic self-governance.
The tenure-track appointment is for a period of five years, with an interim evaluation after two years. Subsequently, the appointment can be made permanent at W2-level following a positive final evaluation by the University's governing bodies.
If applicants have completed their doctorate at the University of Bonn, they should have changed universities after completing their doctorate or have worked academically outside the University of Bonn for at least two years. The hiring requirements are based on § 36 HG NRW. The central tenure track regulations of the University of Bonn as well as further information on the tenure track at the University of Bonn can be found at https://www.uni-bonn.de/en-tenure-track.
The University of Bonn is committed to diversity and equal opportunities. The University of Bonn is certified as a family-friendly university and has a Dual Career Service. Its aim is to increase the proportion of women in areas where women are underrepresented and to particularly promote their careers. It therefore strongly encourages applications from qualified women. Applications are handled in accordance with the State Equal Opportunities Act. Applications from suitable persons with proven severe disabilities and persons of equal status are particularly welcome.
Applications are requested by March 15, 2023, through the application web portal of the University of Bonn (https://berufungsportal.uni-bonn.de). Any questions should be directed to the office of the Physics and Astronomy Department ([email protected]).