This position is Software Architect for the Event Horizon Telescope (EHT), a project that links radio dishes around the world to create a virtual Earth-sized telescope with the highest resolving power possible from the surface of our planet. On April 10, the EHT announced the first image ever made of a black hole. The incumbent will work with a team that includes engineers, theoreticians, software developers, astronomers, and imaging algorithm experts, all united by a common science vision.
Primary focus will be on developing, implementing and demonstrating an architecture for transferring volumes of VLBI data to the cloud and correlating at very high rates. Works with the EHT science community to formulate EHT software requirements; determine technical specifications of new/modified software; conceive and contribute to integration and testing protocols for new/ existing data pipelines; design/code new software; and coordinates documentation and maintenance of EHT software.
At Grade 14:
- Lead development of state-of-the art cloud processing architecture for EHT data processing. Work with EHT director and EHT data processing team, collaborators and students on software architecture and design.
- Play key role in benchmarking, code development and operational flow of a cloud-based EHT data processing system based on the above architecture, including full documentation.
- Guide industry partners in adapting commercial data capture appliances for VLBI field data acquisition.
- Work with EHT scientists to integrate algorithms for VLBI data processing and analysis, including correlation, calibration, time domain, and imaging into production software.
- Contribute to new areas of development for observation or funding proposals.
In addition to the duties at Grade 14, the incumbent at Grade 15 will:
- Will be responsible for benchmarking, code development and operational flow of a cloud-based EHT data processing system based on the above architecture, including full documentation.
- Lead industry partners in adapting commercial data capture appliances for VLBI field data acquisition.
- Identifying new areas of development for observation or funding proposals.
For further information about the Event Horizon Telescope:
For further information and requirements, view the complete Job Vacancy Announcement at:
Application Procedure: We will only accept applications online for this position. To view the complete vacancy posting, requirements and the procedures to apply, please visit USAJOBS https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/533527800
The Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in our workplace.