The Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics of The Pennsylvania State University has an immediate opening for a Research Technologist to work in the Sub-Orbital Rocket Lab. In the Sub-Orbital Rocket Lab we design, build, and launch high-resolution soft X-ray spectrometers and a hire is needed to help with lab maintenance and building two new payloads. The person hired into this position will be expected to effectively utilize the three lab spaces (including two cleanrooms) that are used by the group and assist in hardware development and testing.
The duties of the research technologist include:
- Assist with build-up of sub-orbital rocket payloads. This will include cleaning of vacuum components, assembly of high-performance scientific equipment, and performance testing of the spectrometer.
- Maintenance of vacuum and cooling systems
- Performing experiments required to test the spectrometer sub-systems and final payload
- Data collection using standard scientific practices
- Presenting results in written reports and orally.
- General upkeep of the lab including reordering consumables, maintaining the chemical inventory, and ensuring that the lab is kept in a clean and tidy manner.
- Working in a lab environment
- Running experiments while taking detailed notes
- General tool usage
- Knowledge of CAD programs such as Solidworks
- Working on instrumentation
- Coding experience in Matlab/Python
U.S. Export Administration Regulations require that the successful applicant provide proof of employment eligibility under International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR, 22CFR120-130). Proof of employment eligibility requires documentation that you are a) a U.S. citizen; or b) a Resident Alien (i.e. green-card holder).
Applications must be submitted electronically and include a cover letter, a diversity statement, resume, and names and contact information for three professional references. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Research Technologist positions typically require a Bachelor's degree or higher, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
This is a limited-term appointment funded for one year from date of hire with the possibility of renewal.
Apply Online at: https://psu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/PSU_Staff/job/University-Park-Campus/Research-Technologist-1_REQ_0000021021.