The University of Tokyo Atacama Observatory, TAO, is a project to operate a 6.5 meter infrared telescope at the world highest site, at 5,640 meters above sea level near San Pedro de Atacama in Chile. TAO is promoted by the University of Tokyo in collaboration with many Japanese and Chilean institutes and universities. It will provide frontier sciences from cosmology to the solar system through new atmospheric windows in the infrared wavelength range. The TAO telescope uses the latest technologies. The primary mirror is a light-weighted honeycomb structure, and its surface is controlled with pneumatic actuators in real time during observation. Three instruments (SWIMS and NICE for near infrared and MIMIZUKU for mid-infrared) are being prepared as the 1st generation instruments. The telescope, instruments and enclosure system are remotely operated from outside of the summit. In the town of San Pedro de Atacama we have a TAO base facility which includes office, laboratories, a meeting room, and accommodations.
Electric Civil Engineer with Chilean SEC license:
TAO is seeking for Electric civil engineer(s) in order to achieve daily maintenance of the TAO facilities such as the telescope, the mirror support (actuators), the enclosure (carts, shutter, wind ventilators), cryogenics instruments, and their systems. This electric engineer will also be in charge of homologating all the electrical systems and subsystems between Japanese standards and Chilean standards.
Nightly observations will be conducted remotely from the TAO base camp in San Pedro de Atacama or from Japan. Preventive maintenance as well as daily preparation are required. The maintenance team is composed of Electric civil engineers, mechanical civil engineers, software staff, Instrument staff, and other support staff. They go up to the summit during daytime and carry out daily maintenance in cooperation with support astronomers. Cooperative work between specialties is essentially important because the numbers of crew is limited at the summit site.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Maintenance for electrical infrastructure of the TAO summit facility
• Maintenance for electrical systems of the TAO telescope, the enclosure, the coating system, and other equipment in the TAO summit facility
• Maintenance for electrical system of the TAO base facility
• Daily checkup for primary mirror and primary mirror cell
• Maintenance for actuators and other sub system
• Request-based daily checkup and maintenance for telescope instruments
• Operation and maintenance for the cryogenics cooling system
JOB REQUIEMENTS : EDUCATION, WORK EXPERIENCE, ABILITIES
• Bachelor’s degree in industrial electrical fields, electronics, or instrumentations
• Chilean “SEC” (Superintendencia de Electricidad y Combustibles) license
• At least 5 years of experience in similar positions
• Experience in electrical and electronic system homologation between foreign systems with Chilean system
• Experience in vacuum chambers operations
• Experience in cryogenics cooling systems
• Computer skills using Excel, Word, Power Point and e-mail system
• Good abilities of written and spoken in both English and Spanish
• Capability to drive 4x4 vehicles at high altitude
• Organized and responsible character with a good service-oriented profile, and good interpersonal relations
PHYSICAL CONDITIONS, NATURE OF THE WORK
This position is based at the TAO base facility in San Pedro de Atacama located in the second region in Chile as well as the summit facility located in Chajnantor mountain, 50 kilometers away from San Pedro de Atacama at 5,640 meters above sea level. Due to harsh weather condition such as low air pressure (about a half compared to the sea level), strong UV radiation, cold temperature, and strong winds, she/he should have the normal occupational exams, hypoxia test, and treadmill test and need to pass them before employment.
TAO position is equally open for suitably qualified male or female applicants, candidates are invited to submit the following information to TAO-[email protected] with a subject “TAO-TS-002” no later than 12th May 2022.
1. Resume in English.
2. Explanatory cover letter indicating how you comply with the job requirements.
3. The names and information of three professional references.
4. Monthly gross salary expectations.