Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
IPAC (www.ipac.caltech.edu) provides science and data management for astronomy missions (both space and ground telescopes), planning for future projects, and vital science archives. IPAC supports NASA, NSF, and privately funded projects, including: Spitzer, WISE, NEOWISE, the Zwicky Transient Facility, the Thirty-Meter Telescope, and the US centers for Planck, Herschel, and Euclid. IPAC operates the NASA/IPAC Infrared Science Archive (IRSA), the NASA/IPAC Extragalactic Database (NED), the NASA Exoplanet Archive (NExScI), and the Keck Observatory Archive (KOA).
The IPAC Support Group Systems Engineering team (ISGSE) provides systems engineering, network engineering, and systems administration support for all IPAC projects as well as the organization at large. We manage tens of petabytes of data, high speed networks, compute clusters and the data centers to house them.
The ISGSE team is looking for a Storage Administrator to help maintain our data systems. Typical duties include:
– Manages disk space
– Operates backup systems
– Manages near-line systems
– Works on escalated Helpdesk tickets
– Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field
– At least 3 years of experience with Linux, specifically Red Hat, CentOS or Debian
– Experience managing NAS and SAN storage
– Experience with enterprise backup systems such as EMC Networker or NetBackup
– Strong communication skills
– Must be able to articulate and debate ideas in a collaborative setting and fully engage in weekly staff meetings and design reviews
– Strong work ethic with a desire to continually improve skillsets
– Ability to collaborate with others on a small team
– Ability to organize and manage priorities across multiple assigned tasks
– Experience with file systems such as ext3 & 4, xfs on Linux and particularly ZFS on both Solaris and Linux
– Experience with tape backup systems
– Experience with near-line and multi-site storage systems
– Strong scripting skills in sh, bash, tcsh, Perl, Python and Ruby
– At least 3 years experience with Solaris 10 and Solaris 11 running on Oracle hardware
– Experience implementing Cloud storage
– Data center operations experience
– Familiarity with software development tools like svn and git
– Experience with systems monitoring tools like Zabbix, Xymon or Nagios
– DevOps experience, particularly Ansible
– Interest in science, particularly Astronomy: It’s what we do.
To apply, please use the following link: