Applications are invited for a Postdoctoral Scholar at the Caltech/IPAC NASA Exoplanet Science Institute (NExScI). Under the supervision of Dr. David Ciardi, your primary responsibility will be determining the stellar companion rates of planet hosting stars utilizing high resolution imaging obtained with our team resources on Palomar, Gemini-North, Gemini-South, WIYN and the DCT supplemented with Gaia astrometry, and stellar spectroscopic and radial velocity data.
You will join a large and extremely productive and collaborative team that is focused on the characterization and follow-up of exoplanet host systems. In particular, the group you will be joining is working on determining the rate and characteristics of stellar companions in planetary hosting stars discovered by K2 and TESS. The Postdoctoral Scholar will be encouraged to join the team and to participate in any aspect of the science. They will also carry out their own independent scientific research and will be able to propose to both the JPL access to the Palomar telescopes and to the IPAC allocation of LCO time, in addition to other telescope resources.
Qualifications and Experience
- By the starting date, a Ph.D. in astronomy, physics or equivalent, in an area relevant to the responsibilities.
- Prior experience with stellar companion detection and characterization, high resolution imaging, stellar multiplicity, or statistical analysis is highly desirable.
- This appointment is for two years, with an additional year available contingent on performance and funding.
- Applications are due by November 20, 2020 and should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applications only accepted via email.
- Publication list
- Contact information of 3 professional references
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law
If you would like to request an accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please contact us via the email above.