For our location in Zeuthen we are seeking:
Group Leader High-Energy Gamma-Ray Astrophysics
DESY is one of the world’s leading research centres for photon science, particle and astroparticle physics as well as accelerator physics. More than 2,400 employees work at our two locations Hamburg and Zeuthen in science, technology and administration.
At its Zeuthen location in the outskirts of Berlin, DESY is a leading international centre for astroparticle physics with a strong focus on experimental gamma-ray and neutrino astronomy as well as theoretical astroparticle physics (https://astroparticle-physics.desy.de).
The DESY gamma-ray group is currently involved in all ground-based imaging atmospheric Cherenkov telescope systems to pursue very-high-energy gamma-ray astronomy at photon energies exceeding 100 GeV. DESY plays a major role in preparations for the future global gamma-ray observatory CTA (Cherenkov Telescope Array). As host of the Science Data Management Centre of CTA, DESY will be a scientific hub of the very-high-energy gamma-ray community during the operation phase of the observatory.
The DESY gamma-ray group is looking for candidates for the Young Investigator Program of the Helmholtz Association (www.helmholtz.de).
- Build up and lead your own research group in multi-wavelength and/or multimessenger studies of very-high-energy astrophysical objects or processes
- Receive at least 300,000 Euro p.a. for your group over a period of six years
- Benefit from a world-class research infrastructure
- Receive high-quality management training by the Helmholtz Association
- Management academy and additional support measures
- Tenure track option
- Ph. D. in astronomy, astroparticle physics, or physics
- Several years of international research experience
- Profound observational and data-analysis expertise in a wavelength domain other than gamma rays (radio, X-rays, etc. and/or neutrinos, gravitational waves)
- Firm interest in very-high-energy gamma-ray astronomy and science with CTA
- Exceptional scientific record
For further information, please contact Prof. Dr. David Berge +49 (0)33762-7-7291 (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Helmholtz Young Investigator Groups are generally established together with a German university partner.
The selection process involves multiple stages, starting with a DESY-internal procedure in spring, followed by a Helmholtz-wide selection to conclude in autumn.
The position is limited for six years with an option for a permanent position in case of a positive Evaluation. Handicapped persons will be given preference to other equally qualified applicants. DESY operates flexible work schemes. DESY is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women. Vacant positions at DESY are in general open to part-time work. During each application procedure, DESY will assess whether the post can be filled with part-time employees.
We are looking forward to your application via our application system: Online-Application.
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Human Resources Department | Code: YIG/Z 2020
Notkestraße 85 | 22607 Hamburg | Germany
Phone: +49 (0)40 8998-3392
Deadline for applications: 2019/12/31