The American Astronomical Society (AAS) (https://aas.org), established in 1899, is a major international organization of professional astronomers, astronomy educators, and amateur astronomers. Its membership of approximately 8,000 also includes physicists, geologists, engineers, and others whose interests lie within the broad spectrum of subjects now comprising the astronomical sciences. The mission of the AAS is to enhance and share humanity’s scientific understanding of the universe as a diverse and inclusive astronomical community, which it achieves through publishing, meetings, science advocacy, education and outreach, and training and professional development.
The American Astronomical Society publishes the leading research journals in astronomy, astrophysics, heliophysics, and planetary sciences https://journals.aas.org/. AAS Publishing is hiring a Journals Data Editor to join the team of data editors who curate digital assets for The Astronomical Journal, The Astrophysical Journal, The Astrophysical Journal Letters, The Astrophysical Journal Supplements, The Bulletin of the AAS, The Planetary Science Journal, and Research Notes of the AAS. As with all AAS Publishing positions, this position is remote.
You will join a team dedicated to ensuring open access to journal articles and to the vast amount of associated author research data included in these articles. You will advise and support AAS authors in enhancing their articles with digital assets in the form of machine-readable tables, data behind figures (DbF), figure sets, interactive figures, and video animations. You will join the AAS effort to foster open science through increased linking to critical external data sets and to develop standards along for increased citation and discovery of astronomical data and software.
This position includes the option to use 20% of your FTE for your own scientific or educational research.
As a member of the AAS Publishing Team you will work directly with AAS scientific editors and staff during the peer review process to review all manuscript submissions for the viability of the author’s data products, check for missing software citations, and provide advice on how to effectively restructure manuscripts to save publication charges while delivering a better article.
- Ensure quality of digital data
- Support authors as necessary to facilitate their own production of data sets and enhanced graphics
- Control quality of all data products, including .tar.gz packages, FITS images, and external DOI links
- Edit data products supplied or created and reviewed in the peer review process, post-acceptance, in preparation for production.
- Update author latex manuscripts to conform with AAS data and software standards
You will also play a major role in maintaining the high standards of quality of the AAS journals by:
- Conducting reviews of data, figures, and links in published content, including the presentation of such content in PDF/HTML/XML formats
- Reviewing and updating online documentation and author instructions
- Importing AAS content such as meeting abstracts, community whitepapers, and obituaries into the AAS publishing platforms
- Post-graduate study in astronomy, Ph.D. preferred.
- Minimum two years of experience with astronomical data analysis systems and techniques. Candidates should have experience with latex, Unix shell scripting, and python or other programming languages.
- Minimum two years of experience with scholarly publishing process, knowledge of and experience with AAS journals preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required, good analytic abilities, strong customer service
- Excellent time management and organizational skills required.
- Ability to execute responsibilities with minimal supervision required.
- Experience with heliophysics or computational astrophysics desired but not required.
- Travel to at least two AAS meetings a year and occasional data community meetings required.
The starting position and salary are commensurate with education and experience. We offer a generous benefits package. Start date is January 1, 2023.
The AAS actively seeks a diverse applicant pool and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply. We provide equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability, veteran status, or any other protected category under federal, state and local law.
The AAS recognizes that candidates with non-traditional career paths, or individuals who are at earlier stages of their careers may have demonstrated experience in different ways. The AAS encourages applications from such individuals.
TO APPLY: Share your experience by uploading a resume and completing an online application. Applications received by November 30, 2022, will receive full consideration. Applications received after this date will be considered until the position is filled.