Hamburg Observatory, an institute of the Department of Physics at Hamburg University, invites applications for the position of a Software Engineer / Project Manager. This is an indefinite (i.e. permanent), full-time position, also suitable for part-time employment.
We are looking for a dedicated and creative individual to actively support various scientific and instrumentation projects in the areas of development of software infrastructure and project management. The successful applicant will play a central role in these astrophysical projects and will contribute to their success through a variety of activities in a stimulating and challenging environment.
This position represents the nucleus of a new group at Hamburg Observatory that will focus on software development in three areas:
- Instrumentation: control software and data reduction pipelines
- Large project support: administrative and database applications for large scientific collaborations
- eScience applications
Specific examples of tasks include:
- Maintenance and further development of an existing User Management System
- Development and implementation of web-based tools for the administration of individual scientific projects
- Development and implementation of tools for the analysis of simulation results concerning the execution of a long-term observational campaign
- Further development of a pipeline for the reduction of spectroscopic data
- Development of databases and related user interfaces, web services and visualization tools
- Development of a standard for tracking scientific data all the way to publications
- Preparation of project documentation (management plans, requirements, reports, etc.)
- Preparation and monitoring of schedules and resource plans
- Coordination of available resources
University degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, any of the Natural Sciences or similar.
Required expertise and personal skills:
- Fluent in at least one (preferably several) programming language(s) (e.g. Python, C or C++, Fortran, R, php, Java or similar)
- Experience with programming in a scientific context
- Experience with databases (SQL)
- Experience with web programming
- Proficient in common office applications
- Basic knowledge of project management incl. project management tools
- Ability to work in a team
- Very good communication skills
This position is remunerated at the level of "Entgeltgruppe 13 TV-L".
How to apply:
Prospective applicants are encouraged to contact Joe Liske for further information. Phone: +49 (0)40 / 42838 8582, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The closing date for applications is 09 March 2018. Please send your complete application, including a cover letter, your CV and a two-page description of your relevant achievements and experience, by email to: Bewerbungen@verw.uni-hamburg.de. All applications must include the job reference number 606/1.