NAOJ invites applications from female researchers for assistant professor positions as follows:
1. Job Title: Assistant Professor, a few positions
2. Division and Location: To be decided after selection
3. Area of Expertise: Astronomy and/or related fields
4. Job Description:
The National Astronomical Observatory of Japan (NAOJ) has been playing a key role in the forefront of astronomical research worldwide, as demonstrated in the construction and operation of large-scale astronomical facilities such as Subaru Telescope, ALMA, supercomputers for astrophysical simulations, and TMT (Thirty-Meter Telescope) as well as in the development of space-based instruments, in the effort to promote cutting-edge astronomy utilizing these advanced telescopes. NAOJ has the Division of Science aiming to develop new fields of growth in natural sciences for further advancement of astronomy by leveraging strategies, and the Advanced Technology Center (ATC) as the research center for advanced technology development to support these important astronomical programs.
We invite applications for assistant professor positions at the NAOJ. A successful candidate for this position is expected to lead the project or the sciences related to the large-scale astronomical facility or the space astronomical program(s), lead and develop new fields of astronomy at the Division of Science, or lead the development program(s) at the ATC. The successful candidate is expected to explore the new possibilities in astronomy and to take the initiative in promoting scientific activities that make impact on relevant research fields as well. The responsibilities of this position require continuously demonstrating leadership and outstanding performance in research activities, and also fostering collaborations among NAOJ scientists and engineers to stimulate productivity of science and development by making the best use of NAOJ’s strengths. Fostering of young scientists including supervising students in the PhD’s program is also required as part of the responsibility.
5. Terms of Appointment:
The candidate should be able to start as soon as possible after the job offer has been accepted.
The term of the contract will continue up to the end of the Japanese academic year in which the faculty reaches NAOJ's mandatory retirement age of 65.
A review for the continuation of employment will occur before the beginning of the sixth year. The review may result in the candidate being requested to transfer to another position within NAOJ.
Probation period: 6 months
6. Minimum Educational Requirement: Ph.D. or equivalent
7. Required Application Materials: (*To be prepared in English. Any other language will not be accepted)
(1) A cover letter,
(2) A curriculum vitae,
(3) Publications list (Separate refereed and non-refereed papers with number of citations by ADS),
(4) A summary of your past research activities including international collaborations,
(5) Your commitment and plan to fulfill the duties (including your desired division or project in NAOJ to be assigned to, with detailed description of the research/development/activities which you wish to engage in.)
(6)Your address (e-mail and phone) for prompt contact and the email address of your current supervisor or
(7) Three or more reference letters. Note that your current supervisor or line manager cannot be your reference. Please ask the individuals to send the letter as an e-mail attachment to the submission address shown in 9. (1). Applicants are responsible for ensuring that the letters arrive before the application deadline. (all reference letters should be written by faculty/staff with tenured positions, and no more than one reference letter will be accepted from each country.)
8. Application Deadline: 2019-11-01, 17:00 (Japan Standard Time)
(1) Send your application documents by e-mail to;
E-mail: apply-ASSISTANT-prof20191101_AT_nao.ac.jp (replace _AT_ with @)
Subject of e-mail: “Application for Assistant Professor of NAOJ”.
(2) If you have any question, contact;
E-mail: s.iguchi_AT_nao.ac.jp (replace _AT_ with @)
Professor Satoru, Iguchi,
Vice Director General of NAOJ,
Subject of e-mail: “Question on Assistant Professor of NAOJ”
10. Notes for application:
• Convert each application documents (from7.(1) through 7.(6) above) to separate PDF files and attach them to your e-mail for application.
• Make PDF files with appropriate resolution so that they won’t be too large (file size: up to 10 MB)
• Upon receipt of your application, you will receive a confirmation e-mail. If you do not receive any response from NAOJ within 3 working days, please contact; E-mail: apply-ASSISTANT-prof20191101_AT_nao.ac.jp (replace _AT_ with @)
• Candidates selected in the final short list may be interviewed by the selection committee either via the internet or face-to-face. The expense for the interview will not be covered by NAOJ.
• The NAOJ Advisory Committee for Research and Management will make the final decision for the appointment.
• Policy for Equal Employment Opportunity: Abiding by the Equal Employment Opportunity Act for Men and Women, NAOJ is committed to the realization of a society with gender equality. For details, see http://open-info.nao.ac.jp/danjokyodo/