Korea Astronomy and Space Science Institute (KASI) invites applications for the position of a KASI-Arizona Joint Postdoctoral Fellowship for Advanced Study in Astronomy and Astrophysics.
The duration of the Program shall be four years, beginning with two years at KASI in Daejeon, Korea, followed by two years at the Steward Observatory, University of Arizona (UA), Tucson AZ, USA. The Fellow will move to Steward Observatory at the beginning of third year in the Program, with relocation support covered by the program, subject to UA rules. The successful candidate is expected to assume the position at KASI starting from September 1st, 2022. The exact start date may be negotiable.
This postdoctoral fellowship provides an opportunity for an exceptional recent Ph.D. recipient to pursue a program of research in any area of theoretical or observational astronomy or astrophysics. Preference will be given to proposed research activities that promote collaboration between KASI and Steward Observatory. Applicants are required to identify a faculty/research staff at each institution as a mentor and to get an endorsement letter from them. This Fellow will be affiliated with both institutions and have access to all the resources and facilities of both Parties regardless of the workplace assignment during the four years.
While at KASI, the Fellow will be awarded an annual stipend of about 50M KRW subject to change according to KASI rules. This includes benefits, such as national health insurance for the Fellow and the accompanying dependent family members. The fellow will receive a competitive level of annual research fund (About 10M KRW) that covers the Fellow's research activities. While at Steward Observatory, the Fellow will receive an annual fiscal year salary of about $65,000 USD, as well as benefits including health insurance for the Fellow and the accompanying dependent family members, a competitive level of research fund that covers the purchase of computer(s), travel, and related research expenses, as well as reasonable relocation expenses.
Additional information about KASI and Steward Observatory can be found at https://www.kasi.re.kr/eng/index and https://www.as.arizona.edu.
Candidates must have completed all requirements for the Ph.D. in Astronomy or a related field within 5 years before the start date of the Fellowship. They must have demonstrated English language proficiency, and eligibility to get a visa appropriate for the Fellowship (if necessary) from both the USA and Korea. Applicants will be considered without regard to US or Korean citizenship or national origin. The University of Arizona is an EEO/AA employer -M/W/D/V.
Contact Information for any inquiry: [email protected] (for Arizona), [email protected] (for KASI)
Applicants must apply separately (instructions below) to the UA and KASI by December 10, 2021. A complete application for each institution requires a CV, list of publications, current and proposed research (5-page limit for research statement), names of three references, names of two prospective mentors (one at each institution), as well as three reference letters and two endorsement letters (submitted separately by letter writers). It is the applicants’ responsibility to have the three (3) reference letters and the two (2) endorsement letters received by both UA and KASI before the application deadline.
Submit online application to the UA:
1) Go to https://talent.arizona.edu and apply for Job Posting #7068 or search for KASI.
Complete a University of Arizona Talent application and upload your Curriculum Vitae (CV) as a required application document.
2) In a single PDF, email your CV, list of publications, current and proposed research (5-page limit for research statement), names of three references, and the names of a prospect mentor at KASI and the UA to [email protected].
3) Ask your references to email their reference letters in PDF to [email protected].
4) Ask your prospective mentors to email their endorsement letters in PDF to [email protected].
Email electronic application to KASI:
1) In a single PDF, email your CV, list of publications, current and proposed research (5-page limit for research statement), names of three references, and the names of a prospect mentor at KASI and the UA to [email protected].
2) Ask your references to email their reference letters in PDF to [email protected].
3) Ask your prospective mentors to email their endorsement letters in PDF to [email protected].