DESY, with its 2700 employees at its two locations in Hamburg and Zeuthen, is one of the world's leading research centres. Its research focuses on decoding the structure and function of matter, from the smallest particles of the universe to the building blocks of life. In this way, DESY contributes to solving the major questions and urgent challenges facing science, society and industry. With its ultramodern research infrastructure, its interdisciplinary research platforms and its international networks, DESY offers a highly attractive working environment in the fields of science, technology and administration as well as for the education of highly qualified young scientists.
The Zeuthen location of DESY has a strong focus on astroparticle physics (gamma-ray and neutrino astronomy). The experimental groups are accompanied by a strong astroparticle theory group.
ULTRASAT is a space mission mapping the ultra-violet sky. Its primary science objective is to search for counterparts of gravitational wave sources. The satellite will be built by the Israeli Space Agency and is planned to be in orbit by 2024. DESY will develop, produce, and test the ultra-violet camera.
- Active role in the ULTRASAT camera readout development
- Active role in the CMOS sensor performance characterization, including radiation hardness in space environments and ultraviolet response
- Active role in the ULTRASAT mission reviews
- Active role in the supervision of PhD students (can also consider PhD projects)
- Master in physics, electronics, space engineering, or equivalent qualifications
- Expertise with optical sensors, preferably CMOS
- Expertise in radiation and/or optical testing
- Expertise in software development
For further information please contact Rolf Buehler, firstname.lastname@example.org or David Berge, email@example.com.
The position is limited to 2 years.
Salary and benefits are commensurate with those of public service organisations in Germany. Classification is based upon qualifications and assigned duties. Persons with disabilities will be given preference to other equally qualified applicants. DESY operates flexible work schemes. DESY is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women.
We are looking forward to your application via our application system: www.desy.de/onlineapplication
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Human Resources Department | Code: APMA007/2021
Notkestraße 85 | 22607 Hamburg Germany
Phone: +49 40 8998-3392
Deadline for applications: 2021/04/11