Reporting to the Telescope Optics Group Leader, the Telescope Engineer will be responsible for finalizing the design, fabrication, and on site commissioning of various optical subsystems being delivered by the TMT Optics Group. These systems may include equipment associated with recoating telescope optics, in-situ cleaning of optics and in-situ optical metrology for the TMT.
The equipment will be fabricated by TMT partners and industry selected through competitive bidding. As such, the Telescope Engineer must have excellent technical, project management, and communication skills, as well as the ability to work in TMT’s multi-cultural environment.
The Telescope Engineer will have broad responsibilities, including:
- Lead responsibility for the design, manufacture, assembly and delivery of subsystems, including all testing, support tooling, shipping and handling.
- Finalizing requirements and interfaces.
- Leading development of the procurement plans, the bidding process and contract negotiations.
- Working with suppliers on production programs, including precision machining, integration and all related quality assurance activities.
- Understanding and ownership of the system engineering deliverables, including performance budgets and interfaces
- Leading the planning and execution of the on-site assembly, integration and verification.
- Management of development and production contracts using earned value to measure progress.
The Telescope Engineer will be fully cognizant of all aspects of the design and manufacturing of the telescope optics, including performing the following activities on a regular basis:
- Monitor, coordinate and direct activities by international partner institutions & suppliers
- Utilize SolidWorks to guide and monitor design efforts
- Direct and perform mechanical testing
- Prepare Statements of Work (SOWs) and Requests For Proposals (RFPs)
- Ensure compliance with TMT quality assurance and safety requirements
- Prepare technical reports and deliver technical presentations
- Maintain key deliverables such as Drawings, Requirements Documents, Interface Documents and Error Budgets
- A degree in optics, mechanical engineering or equivalent; advanced degree preferred
- 5 years of experience, including some experience in Project Engineering or Project Management
- Experience with large optical telescopes is a positive factor
- The project office is located in Los Angeles and residence in the area is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The Telescope Engineer must have strong personal skills, including all of the following:
- Excellent organization skills
- Proven leadership ability
- Good interpersonal skills
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to write clear and concise technical documents
- A cooperative team-player who strives to make the team successful
- Ability to multi-task a substantial number of parallel activities
- Practical problem solving skills
The Telescope Engineer must have strong technical skills in many of the following areas:
- Mechanical design and understanding of kinematic principles
- Understanding of manufacturing and assembly techniques
- Analytical approach to problem solving
- Knowledge of structural mechanics and engineering materials
- Experienced using Geometrical Dimensioning & Tolerancing per ASME Y14.5
The Telescope Engineer must be ready to demonstrate project management skills in many of the following areas:
- Developing and managing to a schedule
- Developing and managing to a budget
- Product Assurance and Quality Assurance knowledge
- Experienced in technical contract management