Image Processing Engineer
BlackSky, a division of Spaceflight Industries, is a geospatial intelligence solutions provider that enables organizations to task, collect, and transform data from earth observation, global sensor networks, mobile devices, and social media to deliver on-demand insights about places, events, and assets that are critical to their operations. Blacksky provides satellite collection, data, and cloud based -processing and analytic solutions to organizations that are capitalizing on the exponential growth of a wide range of sensor and collection platforms for delivering the next generation of GEOINT and location intelligence solutions. BlackSky has extensive expertise and capabilities in commercial remote sensing, multi-source analytics, cloud computing, open source software development, Amazon Web Services, and big data geospatial analytics. BlackSky provides solutions to commercial and government organizations with relevant programs with the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency (NGA), US. Army, and U.S. Air Force Research Labs.
BlackSky is deploying a constellation of high-resolution imaging satellites that together provide near real-time data on an ever-changing world. As a member of the Imaging group, the Image Processing Engineer is instrumental in delivering imagery products that power our geospatial knowledge engine.
The Image Processing Engineer’s primary responsibility is to design, build, and maintain the image processing pipeline that transforms raw pixels into imagery products. The work of the Image Processing Engineer centers on developing and supporting new approaches to processing satellite imagery, most notably atmospheric correction, image-to-image registration, photogrammetry, feature extraction, and image-quality enhancement.
Because of the massive quantity and low latency of imagery produced by the BlackSky constellation, our image processing pipeline is held to a uniquely high standard of accuracy and reliability. The Image Processing Engineer will own their work through its entire life cycle from design to operations. Imagery is the bedrock of BlackSky’s product offerings, and as a result the Image Processing Engineer is a fundamentally collaborative role and will work across the organization.
- Develop the algorithms and tools to process raw pixel values into imagery products.
- Build the infrastructure to process thousands of images per day.
- Maintain those algorithms and tools throughout their operational life cycle, particularly in commercial operations.
- Collaborate across the organization to improve our concepts of imaging operations, inform new sensor and satellite designs, and define new imagery products and capabilities.
- Ph. D., M. S., B. S., or B. A. in Astronomy, Physics, Computer Science or related engineering fields
- 5+ years developing image processing or computer vision algorithms
- 7+ years developing software in Python
- 3+ years working with an operational imaging system
- A strong mathematical base in algorithm development, numerics, data processing, and uncertainty propagation
- A personality that enjoys working in a dynamic, multi-task environment
- Motivation to self-teach and the ability to thrive on challenging problems
- Excellent communication and organization skills
- Must be a U.S. Person (U.S. Citizen or Green Card holder)
- Experience developing image-processing and analysis pipelines
- Previous experience working with CCD and CMOS sensors
- Experience working with reflective and/or refractive telescopes
- Experience in processing satellite or astronomical imagery
- Prior experience deploying software into a production environment
Spaceflight Industries is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer All Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.