BNL has been a leading force with the design and construction of the Science Rafts for the LSST Camera. With all the rafts delivered in 2019, the assembly and testing of the full camera is now proceeding at SLAC. Camera commissioning and science verification at the LSST observatory will continue through the end of 2022 when the 10-year survey starts.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The Cosmology and Astrophysics group in the Physics Department at BNL invites applications for a postdoctoral Research Associate position with a duration of two years. The successful candidate will participate in commissioning and characterization of the LSST Camera. In addition to contributing to the construction of this unique instrument, the ideal candidate would also develop a research program relevant to qualification of the camera in meeting LSST’s science goals using the first data and, in general, could pursue a wide range of Dark Energy research. Travel to SLAC and Chile may be required to support the commissioning activities. Funding is available to fill this position immediately under the direction of Dr. Andrei Nomerotski, Astrophysics and Cosmology Deputy Group Leader, BNL Physics Department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform research in the field of experimental cosmology and fulfill responsibilities in commissioning of the LSST Camera.
- Propose, plan and perform advanced scientific investigations in pursuit of scientific and technological excellence in all aspects of related research.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ph.D. in Physics or Astronomy
- Strong background in Instrumentation and Cosmology
- Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Programming and data analysis skills relevant to LSST instrumentation and cosmology
- Experience with statistical analysis, and quantitative and qualitative methods
- Strong computational skills; analytical and critical thinking skills
- Ability to meet deadlines and carry out an independent research program
- BNL policy requires that Research Associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
- Domestic/foreign travel is necessary to present/collaborate scientific research.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please upload a file (in one document) which must include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, publication list, and a brief description of research interests. After electronic submission of the application, applicants should arrange for three letters of recommendation to be sent electronically (preferred) to firstname.lastname@example.org, cc email@example.com or by mail to Dr. Andrei Nomerotski c/o Nicole Kelly, Brookhaven National Laboratory, Physics Department, Building 510, Upton, NY 11973. Please mention BNL Job ID # 1868.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
Paid Parental Leave
Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits