ALMA is a partnership of East Asia, Europe, and North America in cooperation with the Republic of Chile. The NAOJ Chile Observatory invites applications for two or more NAOJ Project Research Fellow positions stationed in Tokyo to promote ALMA/ASTE science and to support the operation of the telescopes.
1. Number of vacancies: one or more for ALMA, one for ASTE
2. Duty station is NAOJ in Mitaka, Tokyo, Japan, with possible business trips to Chile, Europe, North America, Taiwan, and/or Korea.
3. Successful candidates will work on their own scientific research related to ALMA/ASTE (including the archival data) . We welcome research proposals that involve collaborators inside or outside the NAOJ Chile Observatory. In addition, the successful candidate will be involved in the operation and user support of the NAOJ Chile Observatory, who operates ALMA and the ASTE 10 m radio telescope. Observatory duties may include one or more of the following:
ALMA - contribution to the ALMA operation (e.g., reduction of interferometric data, user support such as observing script generation or help desk, etc), or development (hardware or software).
ASTE – contribution to the science operation of ASTE, or development (hardware or software).
In addition, the candidate will be involved in promoting scientific activities such as organization and support of science workshops.
4. The term starts on April 1, 2019 or later, and it is for three years, subject to annual review. At the end of the contract term, there is the possibility of extending the contract up to two years, based on a review. If the applicant had been the project research fellow of NAOJ or the Researcher (Part-time Contract Employee) before, then the term may be adjusted so that the total length of employment does not exceed five years.
5. The applicant must have a PhD degree as of March 31, 2019, or is expected to obtain the degree by the starting date.
6. A good command of English language is essential. Fluency in Japanese will be preferable, but not required.
7. Application documents must be prepared in English, and must include (1) a curriculum vitae, (2) a summary of research activities in the past, (3) a list of publications (separate refereed and non-refereed papers. For co-authored papers, list all the names of authors), (4) PDF copy of three major publications, and (5) an outline of research plans (include both the plan of your own scientific research and the plan for contribution to the observatory duties). The applicant must clearly state whether she/he wishes to be involved in the operation and user support of ALMA, ASTE or both (indicate the 1st choice if both).
8. The applicant should arrange TWO letters of reference, to be sent directly from the person reviewing the applicant. The name of the person should be identified in the application cover letter.
9. The application documents and the reference letter must be received by 12:00 JST (03:00 UT), November 15, 2018
10. If you do not receive the confirmation within three working days, please notify the inquiry address.
11. (1) Application documents and letters of reference should be sent to:
alma-postdoc-application _at_ alma.mtk.nao.ac.jp
with a mail subject of “Application (or Reference) for Project Research Fellow”.
(2) For inquiries, please contact
postdoc.inquiry _at_ alma.mtk.nao.ac.jp
12. The fellow will receive a monthly salary of 350,000 JPY plus compensation for commuting expenses (up to 55,000 JPY per month), and annual research funds of 500,000 JPY. Social insurance will be applied. Bonus and retirement allowances are not provided. The travel and relocation costs to NAOJ will be covered, subject to the travel regulations of NINS (the details have to be arranged with the administration office). The qualification to apply for Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research is given.