The Gravitational-Wave Project Office at the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan (NAOJ) invites applications for a Professor in gravitational-wave astronomy to lead the gravitational-wave project office and contribute to the realization of the KAGRA project.
NAOJ has been a host institute of the TAMA300 detector, and is one of the main co-host institutes of KAGRA a large-scale cryogenic gravitational-wave detector currently being built in Japan. The Gravitational-Wave Project Office, which is located at the Mitaka campus in the western region of Tokyo, is in charge of several subsystems for KAGRA and is also working on advanced technologies for future ground-based and space gravitational-wave observatories.
The position is available immediately and will be filled as soon as possible.
If you have any query, please contact Prof. Raffaele Flaminio E-mail: raffaele.flaminio_AT_nao.ac.jp (replace _AT_ with @) Phone: +81-422-34-3622, Fax:+81-422-34-3793
Description of position terms and procedure to apply
1. Position: Professor.
2. Department: Gravitational-Wave Project Office, NAOJ.
3. Field: Gravitational wave astronomy.
4. Work description: To lead the gravitational wave project office of NAOJ. To play a leading role in any experimental working groups during the construction, commissioning, exploitation and upgrade phases of the KAGRA project. Also expected to contribute to the opening of a new field of astronomy by detecting gravitational waves from the extraterrestrial origin.
5. Starting date: as soon as possible.
6. Qualifications: The applicant must have a PhD degree in physics, astronomy or related fields. Past experience in the management of research groups and/or large projects in the field of gravitational wave detection is required. Fluency in English is necessary.
7. The application documents (PDF file(s) in English) must include
(1) Cover letter
(2) Curriculum Vitae
(3) Summary of past research activities
(4) List of publications (separate refereed and non-refereed papers and the role of the applicant for each)
(5) PDF copy of three major publications
(6) Outline of research plans for this position
(7) Names and e-mail addresses of two or more reference persons
(8) Two or more reference letters (please ask the reference persons to send the letter attached to an e-mail to the submission address shown in 9. (1) to arrive before the application deadline.
8. The application documents must be received by January 9th, 2018 at 17:00 JST.
9. Application submission and inquiries:
(1) Send your application documents by e-mail to; E-mail: apply-gwpo-prof20180109_AT_nao.ac.jp (replace _AT_ with @). Subject of e-mail: "Application for Professor of Gravitational-Wave Project Office ".
(2) Any inquiries shall be addressed to Prof. Raffaele Flaminio by email only. e-mail address raffaele.flaminio_AT_nao.ac.jp (replace _AT_ with @). Indicate as subject “Application for Professor”.
10. (1) Make PDF files with appropriate resolution so that they won’t be too large (file size: up to 10MB).
(2) When the application documents are received, a confirmation mail will be sent to the applicant. If you do not receive the confirmation within three working days, please notify the e-mail address apply-gwpo-prof20180109_AT_nao.ac.jp (replace _AT_ with @). Note that NAOJ will be in winter break from Dec. 29, 2017 to Jan. 3, 2018.
11. (1) The professor will receive a salary commensurate with qualifications.
(2) The travel costs of the selected candidate from his/her home to NAOJ when first taking up the position will be covered, subject to the travel regulations of NINS (the details have to be arranged with the administration office).
(3) Policy for Equal Employment Opportunity: Abiding by the Equal Employment Opportunity Act for Men and Women, NAOJ is committed to the realization of a society with gender equality. If two candidates are deemed equal in their performance evaluation, NAOJ will take positive action to employ women. For details, see http://open-info.nao.ac.jp/danjokyodo/