Applications are invited for 1-2 Postdoctoral Scholar positions in weak-lensing observational cosmology to work with Ranga-Ram Chary at IPAC/Caltech, Bomee Lee at KASI (S. Korea) and a team of scientists across the Country.
IPAC, is part of the Physics, Math, and Astronomy Division at Caltech, provides science operations, user support, data and archive services, and scientific vision to maximize discovery with observatories both in space and on the ground.
You will work as part of a small team, with tasks including:
- Calibrating the point spread function in different epochs of data-taking in wide-area, near-infrared datasets;
- Generating shear-preserving coadds from near-infrared imaging data;
- Generating shear catalogs and calibrating shear bias;
- Developing a weak-lensing pipeline for Hubble near-infrared data which is scalable to Euclid;
- Mapping dark matter distribution and performing a joint analysis with X-ray data;
- Participating in meetings (virtual and in-person), including travel to Europe (when restrictions are lifted).
Skills and Qualifications
- By the starting date, a Ph.D. in astronomy, physics or equivalent, in an area relevant to the job details.
- Ability to work in an active team environment, including good written and verbal communication.
- Experience with weak lensing methods and space-based data (preferred).
- Full resume
- Cover letter
- Publication list
- A summary of previous and current research (limited to 3 pages)
- List of three professional references
This is a two-year appointment, with an additional year available contingent on performance and funding. You will have access to Caltech observational facilities like Palomar. Application should be sent to email@example.com by 15 October 2020. Our preferred start date is Jan 2021 (negotiable, an earlier start would be possible). Depending on start date, an initial short-term remote working arrangement may be also be considered.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. Click here to read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO).
If you would like to request an accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please contact us via the email above.