Salary: £31,931 to £34,709 per annum (dependent on skills and experience).
Location: Science and Technology Facilities Council, UK Astronomy Technology Centre, Edinburgh.
Contract: Fixed-Term (36 Months)
We have an exciting opportunity for a Research Scientist/Engineer to join our multidisciplinary team at the UK Astronomy Technology Centre (UK ATC) in Edinburgh! This opportunity will involve playing a key role in the Future Leaders Fellowship project ‘Printing the future of space telescopes’ (AM4Space).
About this opportunity:
The AM4Space motivation is to demonstrate the enhanced design freedom offered by additive manufacturing (AM) to build lightweight multifunctional mirror components for space telescopes. We are looking for a Research Scientist/Engineer to join the project at the first stage, which will focus on developing a strategy for the adoption of additive manufacture to create lightweight, high quality, space qualified mirror components.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Design and evaluation of novel lightweight mirror structures using optimisation techniques, lattice generation and biomimicry.
- Measurement and data analysis of additive manufacturing substrate materials to investigate the optimum alloys and print parameters for mirror fabrication.
- Measurement, data analysis and evaluation of prototype additive manufactured mirrors.
We are looking for someone with:
- A PhD in a relevant physical sciences or engineering field, or equivalent industry experience.
- Experience in data analysis techniques and in the comparison of theoretical and experimental datasets – research orientated and numerically literate.
- Experience in computer-aided design (CAD) and finite element analysis (FEA), and in bespoke analysis of FEA data.
- Proficiency in writing technical reports and presenting technical information.
We are offering an exciting position that provides a whole host of benefits including; 30 days holiday (in addition to bank holidays), an excellent pension scheme, employee shopping/travel discounts, a salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, plus many more benefits and wellbeing initiatives that enable our employees to have a great work life balance!
Training and development of AM4Space team members is central to the success of the project. Soft skills and technical training will be provided on a continual basis to ensure that all team members are equipped with the skills and expertise to enhance the project and to thrive in their future careers.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us if any adjustments are required.
How to apply:
Applicants are required to submit a CV and a cover letter highlighting your relevant experience in at least one of the following key areas: astronomical instrumentation, space science, or additive manufacture.
Closing Date: 3rd October 2021