Cosmic Microwave Background Divisional Fellow - 100282
The Physics Division at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) has an opening for a Cosmic Microwave Background Divisional Fellow who will make substantial contributions to the design, construction, operations and scientific analyses of the CMB-S4 project; collaborate with the scientific staff within the Division, the Laboratory and the international community; and supervise postdoctoral fellows and students. The Divisional Fellow position is an approximate equivalent to a tenure track junior faculty position.
The Physics Division invites applications from candidates with a record of accomplishment, creative ability, and outstanding promise in the field of Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) cosmology. The appointment will be as a career-track position of up to five years with the expectation of promotion to a career position as a Senior Scientist. Exceptionally qualified scientists can be considered for appointment directly to Senior Scientist.
A successful candidate should have an outstanding and broad program in cosmology with a research focus in the area of the Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB). We welcome applicants with expertise in any of the areas of instrumentation, simulation, data management and/or analysis. The candidate is expected to interact with both the theoretical and experimental communities at Berkeley and beyond and have a commitment to encouraging equity and inclusion. Additional criteria in the search are potential for leadership in the field, ability to mentor early career scientists, and service in the scientific community.
Candidates should have research experience beyond PhD, or equivalent, and have demonstrated independence and original achievements in researc h. A Senior Scientist appointment would have significant experience beyond PhD including demonstrated leadership in CMB experimental programs, international recognition, and the expectation to provide leadership within the DOE CMB-S4 experimental program.
How To Apply:
Note that applications can only be made via this Academic Jobs Online URL.
For full consideration, please apply by December 7, 2023 but the position will remain open until filled. For inquiries please contact Kelly Rushing ([email protected]).
The following requested application materials listed below must be submitted through Academic Jobs Online:
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement describing research interests
- Publication List
- At least five letters of reference submitted online by the reference writers at this site, with at least four external to LBNL/UC Berkeley, and at least one from outside the USA.
- Statement describing activities and interests related to outreach, diversity and inclusion (1 page maximum).
Divisional Fellow budgeted range: $11,500 - $13,500 monthly
Senior Staff Scientist budgeted range: $14,000 - $17,000 monthly
- This is a full time, M-F, exempt from overtime pay (monthly paid), Career-Track (Term) or Career appointment. The Career-Track (Term) position has the possibility of extension for up to five years and/or promotion to a Career appointment, based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds, and ongoing operational needs.
- Salary for this position will be commensurate with the final candidate's qualifications and experience, including skills, knowledge, relevant education, certifications, plus also aligned with the internal peer group.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- The primary location for this appointment will be the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA, with the possibility of a hybrid work schedule.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab’s mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4.