Position Title: Image Processing Engineer
Clearance Requirement: None
About the Position:
Spaceflight Industries seeks an Image Processing Engineer to develop unique image processing methods to enhance the utility of our satellite imagery.
BlackSky is deploying a constellation of high-resolution imaging satellites that together provide near real-time data on an ever-changing world. As a member of the Imaging group, the Image Processing Engineer is instrumental in delivering imagery products that power our geospatial knowledge engine.
The Image Processing Engineer’s primary responsibility is to design, build, and maintain the image processing pipeline that transforms raw pixels into imagery products. The work of the Image Processing Engineer centers on developing and supporting new approaches to processing satellite imagery, most notably atmospheric correction, image-to-image registration, photogrammetry, feature extraction, and image-quality enhancement.
Because of the massive quantity and low latency of imagery produced by the BlackSky constellation, our image processing pipeline is held to a uniquely high standard of accuracy and reliability. The Image Processing Engineer will own their work through its entire life cycle from design to operations. Imagery is the bedrock of BlackSky’s product offerings, and as a result the Image Processing Engineer is a fundamentally collaborative role and will work across the organization.
The successful candidate has a strong sense of curiosity, a love of challenging problems, and the desire to persistently learn and grow. The successful candidate is expected to have a deep knowledge of image processing techniques coupled to a solid physical intuition. To deliver reliable imagery products, image processing must be grounded in accurate physical understanding. Furthermore, the processing techniques must be maintainable. Thus, the successful candidate will be excited to write production level code in a professional software development environment.
Spaceflight Industries is a fast-growing, venture-backed, new-space company that requires experienced, creative, and positive, goal-oriented leaders who enjoy working in agile and dynamic environments. The company has two core missions. First, enabling timely and affordable access to space. And second, enabling timely and affordable understanding of our planet. We combine a big data platform, aerospace engineering, manufacturing, and launch services into a vertically integrated space technology company that is well-positioned to change market dynamics. We are seeking high-performing individuals motivated by challenge and ready to play a significant role in scaling our fast-growing company.
- Develop the algorithms and tools to process raw pixel values into imagery products.
- Build the infrastructure to process thousands of images per day.
- Maintain those algorithms and tools throughout their operational life cycle, particularly in commercial operations.
- Collaborate across the organization to improve our concepts of imaging operations, inform new sensor and satellite designs, and define new imagery products and capabilities.
- Ph. D., M. S., B. S., or B. A. in Astronomy, Physics, Computer Science or related engineering fields
- 3+ years developing image processing or computer vision algorithms
- 5+ years developing software in Python
- 3+ years working with an operational imaging system
- A strong mathematical base in algorithm development, numerics, data processing, and uncertainty propagation
- A personality that enjoys working in a dynamic, multi-task environment
- Motivation to self-teach and the ability to thrive on challenging problems
- Excellent communication and organization skills
- Must be a U.S. Person (U.S. Citizen or Green Card holder)
- Experience developing image-processing and analysis pipelines
- Experience working with CCD and CMOS sensors
- Experience working with reflective and/or refractive telescopes
- Experience in processing satellite or astronomical imagery
- Experience deploying software into a production environment
Spaceflight Industries is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer All Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
EEO/AAP/ Pay Transparency Statements:https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf