Postdoctoral Position in Instrumentation for mm/submm Astronomy/Cosmology
We are seeking to hire a postdoc to participate in the development of millimeter and submillimeter detectors. The successful applicant would split time between two projects:
1) Development of superconducting kinetic inductance parametric amplifiers for 20-110 GHz, with applications for spectroscopy, interferometry, and wide-field continuum and spectroscopic mapping. See Nature Physics vol 8, p. 623 (2012).
2) Development of technologies for continuum imaging in the 30-420 GHz range, possibly higher, for the study of CMB polarization, galaxy clusters via the Sunyaev-Zeldovich effect, and dusty sources such as dusty, star-forming galaxies and star forming regions and the ISM in our galaxy, including
* microstrip-coupled titanium nitride kinetic inductance detectors (KIDs)
* crystalline and amorphous silicon as a dielectric for KID capacitors and superconducting microstripline
* multiscale phased-array superconducting antennas for mm/submm wavelengths
For more details, see Ji et al, Proc. SPIE, 9153: 915321 (2014), doi:10.1117/12.2056777 and additional papers to be posted shortly on arXiv.
Applicants should have:
* a PhD in astronomy, physics, applied physics, electrical engineering, materials science, or any other field relevant to the above technologies;
* strong technical skills in experimental measurements and their analysis and interpretation. Experience with superconducting detectors such as KIDs, SIS mixers, HEBs, or TESs will be particularly useful;
* and, the ability to work independently, set priorities, multitask, seek technical input from diverse sources, and maintain good familiarity with related technical developments
The position is for a term of 1 year with the possibility of two or more one-year reappointments assuming satisfactory performance and availability of funding. Applicants should send a CV, publications list, and a statement of research interests to Sunil Golwala (email@example.com) and Peter Day (firstname.lastname@example.org), and arrange for 3 letters of reference to be sent to the same addresses. Applications received by September 30, 2018 will receive full consideration, but review of the applications will continue until the position is filled.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.