MeerGas is a project to study how galaxies acquire their neutral hydrogen gas. Using the MeerKAT radio synthesis telescope in South Africa, we are obtaining ultra-deep observations of the neutral hydrogen in 30 nearby galaxies (as part of the MeerKAT MHONGOOSE Large Science Project). We will use these to find and characterise signs of low-column density gas accreting onto these galaxies. MeerGas is funded by the European Research Council.
To help support the MeerGas project, we invite applications for a
Postdoctoral position on neutral hydrogen in nearby galaxies
As part of the MeerGas team, you will help with reducing and analyzing the MeerKAT MHONGOOSE radio data. You will help expand the capabilities of the data reduction and analysis pipelines. You will explore novel techniques to explore this unique MeerKAT data set, also through participation in the ASTRON Science Data Centre. You will lead one of the science projects within MeerGas with the ultimate goal to determine the nature of cold gas accretion in galaxies.
You will be part of a team consisting of a number of postdocs and students. You will collaborate with the MHONGOOSE team, consisting of many international experts on spectral-line and multi-wavelength observations. You will also work with the MeerKAT team in South Africa. The position will be full-time (38 hours per week). ASTRON is committed to increasing its staff diversity, and we are especially interested in applications from women and other traditionally under-represented groups.
- A PhD in astronomy, astrophysics, or a related discipline
- A solid background in radio astronomy spectral line imaging
- Experience with software for radio astronomy
- Solid publication experience in refereed scientific journals
- Good planning and organizational skills
- Very good communications skills in English
- A team player
- A joyful motivation for scientific discovery
- A fulltime 38 hours per week temporary appointment in the service of the Netherlands Foundation of Scientific Research Institutes (NWO-I) for the duration of in total 2 years which will be extended for a total duration of three years based on good performance.
- A gross monthly salary, on a full time basis, in the range of € 3.430 to € 4.514 depending on relevant experience.
- A holiday allowance of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.33% of the gross annual salary.
- A solid pension scheme (ABP).
- 42 vacation days per year on a full time basis.
- A pleasant and stimulating work environment.
- Ample support for computing, conference travel and work visits.
- Flexible conditions of employment, tailored to your personal situation.
- Generous relocation expenses and support with finding accommodation.
ASTRON, the Netherlands Institute for Radio Astronomy, is located just outside Dwingeloo in the north of The Netherlands. Its mission is to make discoveries in radio astronomy happen via the development of novel and innovative technologies, the operation of world-class radio astronomy facilities, and the pursuit of fundamental astronomical research.
MeerGas is funded by a European Research Council Advanced Grant.
More information about ASTRON can be found on our websites www.astron.nl and www.jobsatastron.nl. For more information on the content of this vacancy, please contact Prof. Erwin de Blok, MeerGas and MHONGOOSE PI, e-mail: [email protected]. More information on the MHONGOOSE survey can be found at mhongoose.astron.nl.
For more information about this vacancy please contact Erika Timmerman, phone: +31 521 595 100 or e-mail: [email protected].
You can apply for this job at www.jobsatastron.nl on or before December 1, 2021. Applications should include an introduction letter, curriculum vitae, and a description of research interests. Please also arrange for three letters of reference to be sent to [email protected]. The selection process will start in December. The interviews, remote and/or in person, will be scheduled for January 2022. The starting date is flexible, but the position needs to be taken up before October 1, 2022.