NSF’s NOIRLab has an immediate opening for a Science Intern to carry out research on brown dwarfs and cold stars. The intern will help operate an online citizen science project called Backyard Worlds: Cool Neighbors, an extension of the existing Backyard Worlds: Planet 9 project (https://backyardworlds.org). The intern will be supervised by Dr. Aaron Meisner, a NOIRLab staff member and Backyard Worlds co-founder.
Backyard Worlds is a vibrant collaboration including both professional researchers and amateur astronomers. Participation in Backyard Worlds: Cool Neighbors offers an exciting combination of discovery-oriented astronomy research, data science, and science communication.
This is a paid student internship. The duration of the internship is approximately 10-12 weeks at full-time effort. The start date is somewhat flexible, however, will preferably be no later than May 15, 2023.
Activities and Functions of the Position:
- Work closely with the Backyard Worlds science team to operate the Backyard Worlds: Cool Neighbors online platform using the Zooniverse Project Builder tool.
- Analyze images and catalogs from NASA’s WISE space telescope.
- Assist with early analysis of the Cool Neighbors data set.
- Help prepare public-facing materials for promoting Cool Neighbors and training the project’s participants.
- Studying toward or recent recipient of a university degree in astronomy, physics, computer science, data science or a related technical field.
- Background knowledge of astronomy and physics: stars, galaxies, planets, brown dwarfs, mechanics, electricity and magnetism.
- Basic coding/scripting (for example in Python and/or bash) to automate analysis/transfer of data sets and make scientific plots/visualizations.
- Must possess good English communication skills (written and verbal).
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Prior astronomy research experience.
- Python scripting for data analysis.
- Prior experience with science communication, citizen science and/or the Zooniverse Project Builder platform.
- Experience in statistical analysis of large data sets and/or machine learning.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work of a Science Intern is mostly carried out in an office environment. Long periods of sitting may be required.
AURA offers an excellent benefits package including paid time off and retirement plan contributions, competitive salary commensurate with experience, and a stimulating work environment.
Interested applicants, please submit a 1-page cover letter, resume, transcript for university courses completed, and provide names and contact information for two professional references. In your cover letter, please address any remote versus in-person preferences and preferred start/duration of the internship. Incomplete applications will not be considered. PDF files are preferred. Please name any attachments with the following format: LastnameDocname. Application documents that are not uploaded as part of the application may be sent to [email protected]
Application deadline: February 7, 2023. The positions will remain open until filled.
****NOIRLab has some staff working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic. The safety of our staff and community is our top priority. We will continue to interview and screen candidates in this new virtual landscape. Offers of employment can be extended and new hires can on-board virtually and arrangements may be made for remote work in the following states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, New Mexico, Maryland, Virginia, Washington, and Washington D.C.
Further information about the position can be obtained from Dr. Aaron Meisner, [email protected]
COVID-19 Policy Update: AURA has implemented a mandatory vaccination policy that requires all employees to be vaccinated including being up to date on boosters, unless qualified for an exemption based on medical or religious reasons. All new employees will be required to comply with this policy and will be required to present proof of full vaccination or submit a completed request (including supporting documents, if applicable) for an exemption at least five (5) business days prior to their start of employment. Individuals who fail to meet this deadline may have their employment start date delayed.
This is a requirement for all employees working onsite or from home (telework or hybrid remote work schedule). Currently the vaccination requirement does not apply to any future AURA employees working in Chile, regardless of their nationality or type of contract.
AURA currently offers a mix-model workspace (office & virtual) and stimulating environments for all, with most staff working virtually from home during the COVID-19 crisis. The safety of our staff and community is our top priority. We will continue to interview and screen candidates in this new virtual landscape and offers of employment can be extended and new hires will onboard virtually.Offers of employment can be extended and new hires can on-board virtually and arrangements may be made for remote work in the following states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, New Mexico, Maryland, Virginia, Washington, and Washington D.C.