The IAC (Tenerife) invites applications for ONE postdoctoral contract to work on topics within the “Strategic improvements in scientific-technological infrastructures and logistical support to the Canarian Observatories (MICAL)-INSTRUMENTATION PROTOTYPES for the EUROPEAN SOLAR TELESCOPE (EST)” project, led by Dr. Manuel Collados Vera.
Research topics at the IAC include most areas of astrophysics: solar physics, planetary systems, stellar and interstellar physics, galaxy formation and evolution, and cosmology and astroparticles. These research lines are supported by an ambitious instrumentation program. The IAC has been selected as a Severo Ochoa Center of Excellence by the Spanish Government in 2015, a prestigious recognition awarded for the second time to the IAC as a leading research institute in Spain. Further information about the IAC's research programme, its Observatories and the 10.4m GTC is available at the IAC's web page (http://www.iac.es).
Duties: The selected candidate will study the different possibilities of analyzing the wavefront of an extensive source like the Sun, and the methods to correct its deformations produced by an element like the Earth's atmosphere in an location such as the Canarian Observatories in the most efficient way, obtaining the parameters from the results in order to be corrected by deformable mirrors.
Position requirements: The candidates must have an excellent CV and a solid track record of research and technology development in the field of Adaptive Optics (AO) and Multi-Conjugate Adaptive Optics (MCAO) applied to astrophysics. Applicants must have recognized experience in optical design oriented to AO developing and, in atmospheric turbulence, distortion, sensing and correction of wavefronts and in the simulation of that effects, as well as in wavefront recovering algorisms. Applicants must have recognized experience in optical design software as Zemax or CodeV, and in operation, optical systems maintenance, and optical tools of laboratory and in optical test reporting.
Qualification requirements: To be eligible for admission, applicants must have obtained a Ph.D. degree in Astrophysics or Physics or optical, mechanical and electronic engineering (or equivalent, related to the position) within the application deadline (April 30, 2018). A copy of the degree or corresponding stamped certificate (issued by the University where the degree was obtained), must be included. Applicants who have not completed the Ph.D. degree within the application deadline will not be considered.
Merits to value:
Section A: Maximum score 50 points.
- Scientific and technical contributions to your field of research.
- Scientific publications, in quality and quantity, collected in the Science Citation Index (SCI), paper in conferences; teaching tasks, scientific activity committees, scientific conference committees, conference organization, journal referee and stays in other centres.
Section B: Maximum score 50 points.
Adequacy of training and experience of the candidate to the contract he/she is applying for:
- Experience in the use of computer-aided optical design tools, especially Zemax, CodeV....
- Knowledge and experience in atmospheric turbulence, deformation, wavefront sensing and correction and simulation of these effects
- Knowledge and experience in wavefront reconstruction algorithms
- Knowledge and experience in the drafting of procedures for the integration, verification, operation and maintenance of optical systems.
- Knowledge and experience in operation and maintenance of optical systems and optical tools in the laboratory environment, as well as reports of test results.
- Knowledge of control and data analysis software such as IDL, MatLab, Phyton.
In order to guarantee coverage of the effective equality of men and women, and developing the provisions of the Second Plan of Equality of the IAC, the merit values will be measured when certain documented situations exist, which can be presumed that they may diminish the performance of the personnel, with the aim that they do not detract from the evaluation of the career of each applicant. In any case, the following are considered to be special situations:
- Maternity, up to 18 months after the date of birth or adoption.
- Paternity, enjoyed as provided by Social Security, for the duration of the corresponding permit.
- Severe illness or accident with medical leave for a minimum of 3 months.
- Care for dependents for a minimum period of 3 months, as provided by Law 39/2006.
- Work Permits for care of dependent children or adults.
Training: Those candidates who have done their Ph.D. research at the IAC must have undertaken a period of training in other research centres. This period must consist of either one continuous year or 18 accumulated months (including periods of training during their doctoral period).
Duration: The appointment will be for a period of 2 years. The starting date is expected to be in the first half of 2018.
Remuneration: The gross annual salary is 33,547 Euros, subject to up to 20% tax and Social Security deductions (depending on the personal situation of the candidate). Medical insurance under the Spanish National Health Service will be provided for the candidate and will also cover spouse or registered partner (de facto partner) and children (if relevant).
Relocation allowance: This call includes a relocation allowance (only for the selected candidate) comprising: the cost of the flight ticket (booked and issued by the IAC), temporary accommodation for up to two weeks (organised by the IAC) and per diem rate up to two weeks. The maximum IAC will reimburse is 2,000 Euros.
Non-UE citizens: Applicants who are not citizen of a country belonging to the European Union are invited to apply for this position, but, if selected, will be allowed to sign the contract with the IAC only after obtaining the compulsory documentation required to live and work in Spain.
How to apply: use the online application system, http://www.iac.es/jobs/research/, including the required information and documents. Alternatively, follow the instructions in the official announcement (only in Spanish).
The required documentation must be submitted using the online application system and received by the application deadline. The application form, CV, publication list, statements of research interests and suitability for the position, copy of the Ph.D. degree, and copy of the national identity or passport should be merged into a single PDF file.
Late applications or those that do not include the mandatory application form (Annex I), will not be considered. In case of incomplete applications, the applicant will have a period of five (5) days, starting from the day after publication of the provisional list of accepted and excluded candidates, to provide the missing documentation.