Division of Theoretical Astronomy (DTA) of the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan (NAOJ) is inviting applications for an assistant professorship in theoretical astrophysics. NAOJ is an inter-university research institute. NAOJ is organized to serve as a central institution for collaboration and inter-university cooperative-use of large facilities in the Japanese astronomy/astrophysics community.
1. Job Title: Assistant Professor
2. Division and Location: Division of Theoretical Astronomy, NAOJ, Mitaka, Tokyo 181-8588, Japan
3. Area of Expertise: theoretical astronomy and/or related fields
4. Job Description:
DTA has active research groups ranging from cosmology to the study of extra-solar planetary systems. The successful candidate will be expected to develop a research program in one of the fields of theoretical astronomy in coordination with the theoretical astronomy community in Japan while also taking observational astronomy into consideration. In addition to performing research which DTA is pursuing, such as research connecting theory and observation or research based on advanced simulations, the successful candidate should also strive to advance Japanese theoretical astronomy. If the successful candidate is studying simulation-based theoretical astronomy, he/she will be encouraged to participate in the operation of the supercomputers administrated by the Center for Computational Astrophysics (CfCA) NAOJ for common-use in the Japanese theoretical astronomy community.
5. Terms of Appointment:
The candidate should be able to start work as soon as possible after the job offer has been accepted. It is possible to continue in this position until NAOJ's mandatory retirement age. A review for the continuation of employment will occur before the beginning of the sixth year. The review may result in the candidate being requested to transfer to another position within NAOJ. The successful candidate will be employed under the scheme of the annual salary system of NAOJ.
6. Minimum Educational Requirement: Ph.D. or its equivalent
7. Required Application Materials:
(1) a curriculum vitae,
(2) a summary of past research activities,
(3) publications list (Separate refereed and non-refereed papers, monographs, etc. Indicate five major publications. Describe the applicant’s role in the co-authored major publications.),
(4) an outline of research plans (including plans relevant to the job description),
(5) and names and titles of two persons (include e-mail addresses) from whom letters of reference may be requested.
8. Application Deadline:
Application should be made from March 1 to March 31, 2018 (JST) throughhttps://application.nao.ac.jp/dta2018/ .
9. Contact Information for Inquiries about this Position:
e-mail: jokyo_AT_th.nao.ac.jp (replace _AT_ with @)
Professor Kohji Tomisaka,
Chair of the Division of Theoretical Astronomy (DTA), NAOJ
10. Processing of Application
(a) Application materials should be prepared either in Japanese or in English.
(b) You will receive an acknowledgement of your submitted application. If you do not receive this, please send an e-mail to apply-th-assis20180331_AT_nao.ac.jp (replace _AT_ with @).
(c) Candidates selected in the final short list may be interviewed by the selection committee either via internet or face-to-face. The expense for the interview will not be covered by NAOJ.
(d) The NAOJ Advisory Committee for Research and Management will make the final decision for the appointment. Policy for Equal Employment Opportunity: Abiding by the Equal Employment Opportunity Act for Men and Women, NAOJ is committed to the realization of a society with gender equality. If two candidates are deemed equal in their performance evaluation, NAOJ will take positive action to employ women. For details, see http://open-info.nao.ac.jp/danjokyodo/
© 2017 American Astronomical Society