Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. IPAC, part of the Physics, Math, and Astronomy Division at Caltech, provides science operations, user support, data and archive services, and scientific vision to maximize discovery with observatories both in space and on the ground.
We invite applications for a Postdoctoral Scholar position in observational astrophysics at Caltech/IPAC to work with Dr. Andreas Faisst and Dr. Kyle Finner on the characterization of the optical emission line properties of high-redshift (z > 4) galaxies through direct measurements and galaxy cluster gravitational lenses using new JWST NIRSpec+NIRCam imaging and spectroscopic data (cycle 2 program IDs 3045 and 3950).
As part of our team, you will lead the data reduction process of the NIRSpec/IFU and NIRCam imaging data, the subsequent analysis and interpretation, and publication of the scientific results. The goal will be to characterize the star formation histories, dust and metal abundances, and kinematics of z ~ 5 galaxies using a joint analysis of UV, optical, and sub-mm data. In addition to the above mentioned JWST data, you will also be using various other datasets on the COSMOS field, such as the JWST COSMOS-Web imaging (cycle 1 program ID 1727) and ALMA observations as part of the ALPINE survey.
In addition, you will be encouraged to spend a fraction of your time on independent research. As a member of Caltech/IPAC, you will also have access to observing facilities such as Palomar.
Qualifications and Experience
- Applicants must hold a Ph.D. in astronomy, physics or equivalent, in an area relevant to the responsibilities by the starting date.
- Prior research experience in the study of high-redshift galaxies specifically with emission line spectroscopy is required. Prior experience with JWST NIRSpec/IFU and NIRCam data reduction and analysis is desired.
- Experience with galaxy cluster modeling and gravitational lensing or the reduction and analysis of ALMA data is a plus but not required.
- A 1-page cover letter describing your interest in the position
- Curriculum vitae
- Publication list
- Summary of previous and current research (limited to 3 pages).
- Contact information for 3 professional references
- This appointment is for two years, and an additional year is possible contingent on performance and funding availability.
- Applications are due by 12/20/2023 and should be directed to [email protected]. Attention to: Dr. Andreas Faisst
- Applications only accepted via email.
- Preferred start date is May 2024 although the exact start date is negotiable.
Starting at $69,000 per annum
The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.
As one of the largest employers in Pasadena, CA, Caltech is committed to providing comprehensive benefits to eligible employees and their eligible dependents. Our benefits package includes competitive compensation, health, dental, and vision insurance, retirement savings plans, generous paid time off (vacation, holidays, sick time, parental leave, bereavement, etc.), tuition reimbursement, and more. Non-benefit eligible employees will have access to some benefits such as onsite counseling and sick time. Learn more about our benefits and staff perks.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
To read more Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) go to eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf.
If you would like to request an accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to Caltech Recruiting at [email protected].