UK Bristol or US Remote
Salary & Benefits
Competitive + Excellent Benefits
Job Advert Description
The Language Editor is responsible for providing high quality copyediting and proofreading services for a group of prestigious products published on behalf of a high-profile society partner in a timely and efficient manner, and to agreed quality standards. They ensure that articles are appropriately styled for publication, following the conventions and preferences of the partner’s house style.
The role is accountable for providing partner-specific style expertise, guidance and training to Production Editors and Freelancers working on titles as above, and ad hoc editorial support to the wider department as required.
Key job accountabilities include:
- Timely completion of editing and proof correction tasks, contributing to achievement of production time targets as defined by partner requirement or service level of the product.
- Language editing accurately and to the appropriate level to meet agreed standards, as defined by partner requirement or service level of the product.
- Monitoring supplier and freelance quality – accuracy of style application by supplier monitored and improved where necessary; quality of freelance language editing monitored and improved; feedback, root-cause analysis and follow up with suppliers/freelancers carried out.
- Maintenance of US freelance pool – evaluation and testing of new freelance copy editors to maintain high quality, highly productive freelance editing resource for DC team portfolio.
- Maintenance of partner-specific style guides and related support and training for Production Editors working on partner titles. Ad hoc copy editing for the wider department as required.
Successful applicants should demonstrate the following:
- Previous experience in a production role, involving either print or electronic formats, would be highly advantageous, but is not essential as full training will be provided.
- Previous experience working with style guides and copyediting academic content.
- Awareness of and sensitivity to cultural differences in communications with authors and overseas suppliers.
- Familiarity with scientific terminology such that language editing does not alter scientific meaning.
- Excellent editorial skills with an aptitude for language editing to a defined style and accurate proof correction transfer.
- Strong technical knowledge, computer skills and numeracy.
- Effective communication and organizational skills; ability to plan and balance priorities.
- Accuracy and an eye for detail.
- Able to work on own initiative, and flexibly as part of a team.
- Good technical and problem-solving skills
- Professional attitude and diligent/dedicated approach.
- Degree-level education preferable. A/AS-level science or mathematics (or equivalent) desirable.
About the benefits:
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer employees a comprehensive benefits package including an excellent pension scheme, discretionary annual bonus scheme, private medical insurance, life assurance and generous annual leave, and a range of flexible benefits including cycle to work and gym membership.
Our modern and contemporary offices are based in the thriving city centre of Bristol, a stone’s throw away from Temple Meads train station, and within walking distance of Cabot Circus shopping centre, and numerous cafés and restaurants. Named on more than one occasion as the best city in the UK to live in, Bristol is a cosmopolitan and creative city boasting a historic harbour, internationally renowned cultural institutions and home to world-class festivals and events.
This role is based either remotely in the US or at our Bristol office in the UK. Blended and flexible working will be considered with regular office attendance informed by business needs and subject to the local Covid-19 situation.
To apply, please submit your CV and a covering letter through our careers site highlighting your previous experience and how it applies to the role, and why you are interested in this opportunity and IOP Publishing.
IOP Publishing is an international scientific publisher, through which leading-edge research is distributed worldwide. Our rapidly expanding journals programme is published alongside other sources of scientific information in the form of eBooks, magazines and conference proceedings. Other publications include easily accessible community and regional websites. We are a world leader in the development of electronic publishing for the scientific community and have offices in Europe, Asia and the US. Working in the interests of science and scientists, we aim to maximise the impact of the research we publish.
IOP Publishing is central to the Institute of Physics, a not-for-profit society. Any financial surplus earned by IOP Publishing goes to supporting science through the activities of the Institute. With a continuing focus on growth, we recognise that every single person has a real part to play if we’re to achieve our aim of becoming the world’s leading publisher in our field.
We are seeking a diverse range of candidates and particularly welcome applicants from under-represented backgrounds.