The National Astronomical Observatory of Japan (NAOJ) http://www.nao.ac.jp/en/ is inviting applications for a female assistant professorship. NAOJ is an inter-university research institute. NAOJ is organized to serve as a central institution for collaboration and inter-university cooperative-use of large facilities in the Japanese astronomy/astrophysics/planetary-science community.
1. Job Title: Assistant Professor
2. Division and Location: To be decided after selection
3. Area of Expertise: astronomy and/or related fields
4. Job Description:
The National Astronomical Observatory of Japan, National Institutes of Natural Sciences, is promoting 13 projects and pursues research in astronomy and related fields as well as offering world-leading large observational research facilities for common-use. We invite applications for a female researcher who will actively lead research/instrument-development/related-business at the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan, regardless of her field.
5. Terms of Appointment:
The candidate should be able to start work as soon as possible after the job offer has been accepted.
It is possible to continue in this position until NAOJ's mandatory retirement age. A review for the continuation of employment will occur before the beginning of the sixth year. The review may result in the candidate being requested to transfer to another position within NAOJ. The successful candidate will be employed under the annual salary system of NAOJ.
6. Minimum Educational Requirement: Ph.D. or its equivalent
7. Required Application Materials:
(1) A curriculum vitae,
(2) A publications list,
(3) A summary of past research activities,
(4) An outline of research plans (Please describe in concrete terms what kind of study, development, or work you'd like to do in this post at the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan),
(5) Names and titles of two persons (include e-mail addresses) from whom letters of reference may be requested,
(6) e-mail address.
8. Application Deadline:
Application should be made from October 2 to October 31, 2017 (JST) through https://application.nao.ac.jp/jj2017/.
9. Contact Information for Inquiries about this Position:
E-mail: apply-jj2017_AT_nao.ac.jp (replace _AT_ with @)
Professor Junichi Watanabe,
Vice Director General, NAOJ
10. Processing of Application
(a) Application materials should be prepared either in Japanese or in English.
(b) You will receive an acknowledgement of your submitted application. If you do not receive this, please send an e-mail to apply-jj2017_AT_nao.ac.jp(replace _AT_ with @).
(c) Candidates selected in the final short list may be interviewed by the selection committee, either via internet or face-to-face. The expense for the interview will not be covered by NAOJ.
(d) The NAOJ Advisory Committee for Research and Management will make the final decision for the appointment. NAOJ complies with the Japanese Equal Opportunity Employment Law and strives for the realization of a society with equal participation by both men and women.
© 2017 American Astronomical Society