The Division of Physics, Mathematics and Astronomy at the California Institute of Technology invites applications for a tenure-track position in experimental and/or theoretical physics, astrophysics and cosmology. We have a particular strategic need in high-energy experiment, AMO experiment, and condensed matter experiment, but are conducting a broad search spanning all areas of physics. We are seeking highly qualified candidates committed to a career in research and teaching. The term of an initial untenured appointment is four years, and the appointment is contingent upon completion of the Ph.D. Reappointment beyond the initial term is contingent upon successful review conducted prior to the commencement of the fourth year.
Consideration of applications will begin on November 15, 2021 and applicants are encouraged to submit materials before this date. Caltech has a strong institutional commitment to diversity in all areas and encourages candidates from underrepresented groups to apply.
Applicants should include:
- a brief essay describing academic qualifications and professional experiences, how they will bring value to the Institute’s curricula, and how they will align with current faculty research interests, including an outline of research goals and plans;
- a teaching statement, including approach to and philosophy of teaching;
- a diversity and inclusion statement that discusses past and/or anticipated contributions to improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the areas of research, teaching, and/or outreach;
- a curriculum vitae;
- a list of papers published and submitted with refereed papers indicated, and
- at least three letters of reference to be uploaded by the letter writer. Please also include the names and email addresses of the referees in the application.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Caltech has implemented a mandatory vaccination policy effective October 15, 2021, requiring COVID-19 vaccinations for all employees (with Institute-approved exemptions for religious or medical contraindications only). At present, an individual is deemed “fully vaccinated” when that person has received, at least 14 days prior, either the second dose in a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine series (e.g., Pfizer or Moderna) or a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine (e.g., Johnson & Johnson). As a condition of employment, employees must submit official COVID-19 vaccine documentation. More information may be found at https://together.caltech.edu.
Application materials must be submitted electronically: https://applications.caltech.edu/job/physics