DARK, Niels Bohr Institute, Faculty of Science at University of Copenhagen are offering several PhD studentships in transient astrophysics, active galactic nuclei, and/or cosmology. Candidates interested in active galactic nuclei should commence ca. April-June 2021. All other candidates are to commence on a date agreed upon.
Project description: We are looking for talented and highly motivated students who are interested in theoretical and observational astrophysics and cosmology, in the area of transient or variable sources such as supernovae, tidal disruption events, gravitational waves, kilonovae and active galactic nuclei.
PhD positions are available in the following scientific areas:
- dust formation and destruction in and around supernovae
- cosmographic tests of the cosmological metric – implications for understanding cosmic acceleration
- the nature of gravitationally lensed (or other peculiar) transients/supernovae
- tidal disruption of stars and other exotic phenomena around supermassive black holes
- gas and stellar dynamics, supermassive black hole mass measurements, black hole fuelling
- high-redshift galaxies with James Webb Space Telescope
- big data analysis and machine learning in large scale astronomical survey
The positions are available for 3–5 years depending on the seniority of the student.
For more information on training content, job description, evaluation criteria, please see the full job announcement here >>
DARK is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to background, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or age.
How to apply: Please click here for the full announcement and to apply:
- 6 weeks vacation
- full social and health benefits (also for partners & family)
- Generous parental leave
For more conditions of employment: http://ism.ku.dk
The positions are also available for candidates who are eligible to be enrolled as a MSc student. For further information about the study programme please see: www.science.ku.dk/phd
Related URLs: additional information about the recruitment process and General information about our PhD programmes